32.3869, Calls: Psycholinguistics / Applied Psycholinguistics (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 9 07:45:36 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3869. Thu Dec 09 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3869, Calls:  Psycholinguistics / Applied Psycholinguistics (Jrnl)

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 02:45:21
From: Ethan Kutlu [ethankutlu at gmail.com]

Full Title: Applied Psycholinguistics

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics

Towards a Just and Equitable Applied Psycholinguistics
Co-editors: Ethan Kutlu & Rachel Hayes-Harb

Applied psycholinguistics emerged in the latter half of the 20th century, with
a focus on so-called “normality”--reinforcing monolingualism,
native-speakerism, accentism, ableism, etc.--and the characterization of any
deviation as noise or abnormality. Scholars have developed many tools and
theories that have sacrificed insightful understanding of human diversity,
instead elevating ideologies of stigma and prejudice based on identity and
background (e.g., race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation,
nationality, and disabilities).

Applied psycholinguists must acknowledge the ways our field has been complicit
in the ongoing marginalization of vast communities of people. We must change
the questions we ask, the methods we use, and the ways we interpret findings,
breaking away from the corruptive ideal of “normality” and towards a wholistic
understanding of human diversity.

The purpose of this special issue is to amplify research and researchers who
are changing the field in these ways, towards a new applied psycholinguistics.
We invite interested authors to submit a one-page abstract of your position
piece, or original/replication research manuscript, by January 30, 2022.
Abstract submissions will be reviewed by the Applied Psycholinguistics
editorial team, and authors will be notified of decisions by February 15,
2022. Complete submissions of selected abstract will be due May 15, 2022, at
which point they will undergo peer review.

Click here (https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3DbngXYd31kNH6u) to submit
your one-page abstract by January 30, 2022.

Please send inquires to Ethan Kutlu ethan-kutlu at uiowa.edu and/or Rachel
Hayes-Harb r.hayes-harb at utah.edu