32.3891, FYI: Online Lecture 12/16, Greg Hickok: Speech Control

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 10 08:27:21 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3891. Fri Dec 10 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3891, FYI: Online Lecture 12/16, Greg Hickok: Speech Control

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 03:24:35
From: Dirk den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]

Thursday December 16, 12pm (noon) ET
Presentation in Zoom, accessible via the C-STAR website:
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Beyond Broca: Architecture and Evolution of a Dual Speech Control Model

Greg Hickok, PhD
University of California Irvine

Broca identified a single left inferior frontal region—today’s Broca’s area—as
the seat of “the faculty of articulated language”, which he defined as motor
speech coordination. We now understand that Broca’s area (most of it at least)
is involved predominantly in higher-level language functions. Where, then, is
Broca’s motor speech coordination system? Modern evidence suggests there are,
in fact, two: one in ventral premotor cortex and one in dorsal premotor
cortex. I will present evidence for the existence of these two systems and
motivate a “dual speech coordination model" in which the dorsal system
coordinates pitch-related vocalization features (e.g., prosody, song) and the
ventral system coordinates syllabic and phonetic features. I will also discuss
the implications of this model for the evolution of speech and language.

                     Clinical Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Phonetics