32.3921, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Ling & Literature, Translation/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 14 08:07:23 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3921. Tue Dec 14 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3921, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Ling & Literature, Translation/USA

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 03:06:26
From: Xijinyan Chen [chenx at wfu.edu]
Subject: 9th Asian-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies

Full Title: 9th Asian-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies
Short Title: APFTIS-2022

Date: 25-Mar-2022 - 26-Mar-2022
Location: Winston-Salem, NC (online), USA
Contact Person: Xijinyan Chen
Meeting Email: apftis2022 at wfu.edu
Web Site: https://interpretingandtranslation.wfu.edu/APFTIS-2021/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Translation

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2022

Meeting Description:

FORUM GOALS
The fourth industrial revolution is quickly changing communication patterns,
global trade policies, political alliances and people's lifestyles.
Consequently, it is becoming more important than ever to promote broader
mutual understanding among people from different cultures through translation,
interpreting and other channels of intercultural communication.

Interculturality takes on a different meaning as societal identities and
community memories around the world are being impacted in a new way.
Additionally, an increasing application of new technologies has put the
language industry as a whole in flux, which will inevitably bring changes to
translation and interpreting (T&I). At this juncture, an exchange of ideas by
practitioners and theorists from the T&I and intercultural communications
fields would help us to better understand and face the challenges brought
about by this constantly evolving environment.

What are some of the major changes facing scholars, educators and
practitioners from the fields of T&I and intercultural studies? What else will
be transforming the field in the near future? What are the opportunities in
store? What challenges?  How can T&I practitioners, educators, scholars and
industry players creatively and resourcefully respond to these changes? How
can T&I practitioners and educators better adapt to an uncertain future?

The Forum intends to provide educators and practitioners from the fields of
T&I and intercultural studies with the opportunity to:
interact, network and benefit from each other's research and expertise at this
important moment; synthesize research perspectives and foster
interdisciplinary dialogues for developing integrated approaches to complex
problems of T&I and intercultural studies in new globalization contexts;
explore new ways of thinking about the relationship between T&I and
intercultural teaching, research and the language industry; brainstorm about
methodologies to foster global intercultural sensitivity and promote
cooperation between T&I academia and the language industry; advance modes of
inquiry for T&I research and disseminate practical findings to facilitate
understanding among different cultures, societies and geo-national/continental
regions.

SCOPE
The 9th APFTIS is soliciting submissions that reflect diverse theoretical
perspectives and empirical research. Topics are broadly defined, and include,
but are not limited to, the following areas:
T&I services in medical, legal, business, diplomatic, media and
non-traditional contexts, i.e. humanitarian crisis, public safety and law
enforcement
Collaboration between T&I academia and practitioners and industry partners
from other domains
Community as base for interpreting and translation; i.e. re-enforced and/or
re-defined role of T&I in diversified communities
Agency of translators and interpreters in global societies; i.e. leadership,
construction of a nation's or world region's identity and image, impact on
cultural memory
Big translation and cultural memory: the construction of a nation's identity
/image
New approaches in T&I studies, i.e. trans-creation, adaptation with
compensation, self-censorship
Cultural factors and T&I strategies
Remote interpreting and re-speaking
Technology application in T&I, in particular T&I-related AI applications, T&I
on demand, post-editing, terminology management, etc.
Multimodality in T&I, i.e. audiovisual, videogames, movies
T&I education and curriculum development
T&I ethics, standards and quality assessment

Call for Papers:

Authors are invited to submit abstracts for individual presentations of 20
min. (15 min. + Q&A) and short bios through Linguist List platform
(https://old.linguistlist.org/easyabs/APFTIS21) or email your abstract to
apftis2022 at wfu.edu by January 31, 2022. Abstracts will be selected for
presentation at the conference by the Academic Committee and the selected
presenters will be notified by February 21, 2022.

For those of you who have submitted proposals, please resubmit it to confirm
your intention to be considered. You may resubmit the same version or make any
adjustments as you see necessary.

GUIDELINES FOR PAPER SUBMISSION
Abstract, 300-350 words in English, including positions, affiliations, email
addresses and mailing addresses for all authors. Times New Roman 12pt font
size, single-spaced.

ITS Rising Scholar Award
The Academic Committee invites academic faculty in first five years of their
careers to submit their papers to be considered for this award. The Committee
will choose two papers of excellence in T&I, intercultural studies and/or
other relevant studies and grant two awards of $300 together with a
certificate with signatures of the Co-chairs of the Academic Committee. The
applicants must send their papers by May 15, 2022 to apftis2022 at wfu.edu.

Best Student Paper Award
The Forum offers an opportunity to foster collaborative research between
faculty and undergraduate and graduate students. In that spirit, the
Organizing Committee invites undergraduate and graduate/doctoral students
majoring in T&I, intercultural studies and/or other relevant studies to submit
their papers for a special session dedicated to undergraduate and graduate
research. The paper needs to be approved and recommended by a faculty member
from the student's current university. The Interpreting and Translation
Studies Graduate Program at WFU will provide an award of ''Best Student
Paper'' for two papers of excellence submitted by students, accompanied by
$300, together with a certificate issued by the Interpreting and Translation
Studies Graduate Program and the Graduate School of WFU. The applicants must
send their papers by May 15, 2021 to apftis2022 at wfu.edu.