32.4018, FYI: Collaborations and Communities: Global Perspectives on Building a Culture of Research in TESOL

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 25 03:16:01 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-4018. Fri Dec 24 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.4018, FYI: Collaborations and Communities: Global Perspectives on Building a Culture of Research in TESOL

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:12:06
From: Jessie Curtis [jessie.curtis at gse.rutgers.edu]

We have been invited by a major publisher to submit a proposal for an edited
volume based on the TESOL Research Professional Council Colloquium for 2022,
Global Perspectives on Building a Culture of Research in TESOL.

Over the past decade we have seen a building momentum for teaching-research
collaborations in the field of TESOL (Rose, 2019), and in critical and
liberatory approaches to English teaching such as translanguaging (Tian &
Shepard-Carey, 2020) and decolonizing pedagogies (López-Gopar et al., 2021).
Such collaborations center teachers’ knowledge of their educational contexts
and aim for bi-directional teaching-research relationships in which research
informs teaching and teaching informs research.
Reflective and agentic TESOL practitioners are concerned not only with
researching instructional issues but investigating social realities that
permeate language classrooms. Yet language teachers experience challenges to
engaging in research (Dikilitaş & Griffiths, 2017). In the field of TESOL,
these include time, restrictive language policies, ideologies, and curricula,
as well as bifurcation of teaching from research in university structures. To
overcome these difficulties, McKinley (2019) proposed collaborations between
TESOL researchers and teachers to create a teaching-research nexus embedded in
practice, and a teaching identity as a “holistic TESOL professional” (p. 879).
The proposed volume considers how teachers, teacher educators, teacher
candidates, and researchers develop such collaborations, blurring the lines
between these identities and promoting classroom-based and teaching-informed
research in TESOL. We believe that this edited volume will be an opportunity
to draw from collaborations across national and educational contexts and
illustrate empowering and agentive teacher-researcher relationships that
facilitate educational change in the direction of equity and inclusion in
English language teaching. This edited volume welcomes empirical and
reflective chapters that explore these topics as they relate to teacher
candidates and in-service teachers as researchers in their classrooms:
Transforming teacher education and professional development design for
building a culture of research  in TESOL.
Educating pre-service teacher-researchers.
Supporting in-service teacher-researchers in K-16 contexts.

Exploring methodological and ethical considerations in building
teacher-researcher relationships.
Initiating and sustaining equitable collaboration and engagement among
stakeholders in classroom-based inquiry.
Developing transnational and cross-cultural collaborations.

Envisioning a language education policy that supports a culture of research in
TESOL..
Critically identifying stated and unstated language education policies.
Empowering teacher-researchers to be policymakers.

Discussing the role of professional organizations (e.g. ACTFL, AERA, CARN,
IATEFL, ILA, TESOL, etc.) in building a culture of research.

Proposal Format: If you are interested in contributing a chapter to the book,
we invite you to submit an abstract of 500 words, with a short list of
selected references. We look forward to receiving proposals by February 15,
2022 and responding with acceptances by March 15, 2022. Please provide
abstracts with references and author information (email and institutional
affiliation) here, https://forms.gle/tuLwLjGXdJBvDBmq8, and direct questions
to ustukozg at msu.edu and jessie.curtis at gse.rutgers.edu.

Chapter Format: 7,000-10,000 words. We would like to emphasize stakeholders’
perspectives on practitioner-scholar collaborations, so we ask that you
include a short section in which all (co)authors reflect on the research
process (e.g. defining the research question(s), design, or collaboration) as
it unfolded in classroom-based inquiry. We anticipate providing final
manuscripts to the publisher in the 4th Quarter of 2023.

Subject Language(s): English (eng)