32.435, Calls: Ling Theories, Morphology/Online or USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 4 19:37:58 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-435. Thu Feb 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.435, Calls: Ling Theories, Morphology/Online or USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 14:37:24
From: Andrea Sims [sims.120 at osu.edu]
Subject: 5th American International Morphology Meeting

Full Title: 5th American International Morphology Meeting

Date: 27-Aug-2021 - 29-Aug-2021
Location: Columbus, OH (Online), USA
Contact Person: Andrea Sims
Meeting Email: sims.120 at osu.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Linguistic Theories; Morphology

Call Deadline: 23-Apr-2021

Meeting Description:

The Department of Linguistics at The Ohio State University is hosting the 5th
American International Morphology Meeting (AIMM5), August 26-29, 2021.
Currently, we are planning a virtual conference, but we may supplement with an
in-person component, conditions allowing.

The theme of the conference will be Morphological Theory and Typology.
Languages display remarkable diversity in how and to what extent they make use
of morphology. Because of this, it is crucial to explore the morphological
structures of a wide variety of languages, especially those that are
understudied. This is necessary to ensuring that the morphological theories
that we develop are grounded in the empirical data that we observe.
Conversely, linguistic theory and computational modeling inform our
understanding of morphological diversity by allowing hypotheses about
underlying causes of typological distributions to be tested. While
morphological typology and morphological theory have not always been in close
dialogue, we view such dialogue as important to the advancement of both
fields. The conference theme is designed to highlight work that brings
understudied and otherwise diverse languages to bear on morphological theory,
and theory to bear on morphological typology. We encourage submissions
reflecting different theoretical and methodological approaches, the latter
including but not limited to fieldwork, corpus methods, and computational
modeling.

Invited Speakers:
Dunstan Brown, University of York
Gabriela Caballero, University of California, San Diego
Laura Kalin, Princeton University
Ryan Lepic, Gallaudet University

Call for Papers:

Submissions that relate to the theme are especially encouraged, although
abstracts on any aspect of morphology are welcome. Students are strongly
encouraged to submit abstracts. Contributions that present novel data from
lesser-studied languages, including sign languages, are especially welcome,
regardless of whether they speak directly to the theme.

Important Dates:
Abstract submission deadline: April 23, 2021
Notification of results: June 15, 2021
Conference: August 26-29, 2021

Abstract Submission:
To propose a paper/poster for presentation at AIMM5, upload an abstract
conforming to the guidelines below to the EasyChair website
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aimm5).

Abstract Guidelines:
1. Abstracts should not exceed one letter (or A4) page in length, have 1-inch
(2.5 cm) margins on all sides, and be set in Times New Roman with a font size
no smaller than 11pt, single-spaced.
2. Examples, tables, graphs, etc. and references may be included on a second
page.
3. The submission should not reveal the identity of the author(s) in any way.
Abstract reviewing will be strictly anonymous (double blind).
4. You can only submit one abstract for which you are first author but may
submit abstracts for which you are not first author without limit.
5. Abstracts must be submitted in PDF format through EasyChair
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aimm5) by April 23, 2021.

Accommodations:
We are planning to offer live captions (CART) and/or American Sign Language
interpretation, based on presenter and/or attendee need. Participants who
would benefit from these services are encouraged to contact the organizers so
that we can plan for appropriate accommodations.

Contact Information:
Email: aimm5.2021 at gmail.com
Conference website: https://www.ling.ohio-state.edu/AIMM5/

Organizing committee: