32.436, Calls: Psycholinguistics, Semantics, Lexicography, Cognitive Science / Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 4 23:05:39 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-436. Thu Feb 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.436, Calls:  Psycholinguistics, Semantics, Lexicography, Cognitive Science / Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence (Jrnl)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 18:05:25
From: Michael Zock [michael.zock at lis-lab.fr]

Full Title: Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Lexicography; Psycholinguistics; Semantics

Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2021

Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and the Guest Editors Michael Zock, Simon
De Deyne, Massimo Stella and Vito Pirrelli
are curating an Article Collection entitled:
''The Mental Lexicon, Blueprint of the Dictionaries of Tomorrow: Cognitive
Aspects of the Lexicon''.

We welcome your papers to our peer-reviewed Article Collection. Papers can be
original research, reviews, or perspectives, among other article types.

Submission Deadlines:
28 February 2021 Abstract
30 June 2021 Manuscript

This call has been trimmed, to read the full call, or for more information
visit:
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/17890/the-mental-lexicon-blueprint
-of-the-dictionaries-of-tomorrow-cognitive-aspects-of-the-lexicon

The goal of this Research Topic is devoted to two different issues in terms of
scope:
Take a look at the lexicon from a cognitive point of view. This is a broad
view, taken at CogALex (https://sites.google.com/view/cogalex-2020/home) a
workshop devoted to the Cognitive Aspects of the Lexicon;
Consider a more specific view, namely, the development of an ecosystem to
support word-finding (word access at the moment of speaking or writing)

This being so, we welcome articles addressing the problems raised in the
CogALex workshop series as well as the following points:
- Given our goal, and to be fruitful for our discussion, what shall we put
behind the term 'mental lexicon'?
- How can we reconcile the fact that words are decomposed, hence subsymbolic,
in the human brain, while humans can only provide and interpret symbolic
information, which is why we have words in the lexicon?
- How to build a representative map of the mental lexicon for a given user
group?
- Which corpora (knowledge graphs, BabelNet, ConceptNet) and which
combinations have the best potential to yield a representative encyclopedic
lexicon?
- How to achieve the right mix between encyclopedic and (collective) episodic
knowledge?
- How to 'dynamize' the lexicon? The weight of the links between words is not
frozen. During communication, our focus shifts all the time. Likewise, any
event (news) may have an impact on the evocation potential of a given word.
- Which lexical resources are relevant to support word finding? What layers of
Levelt's lexical access model are relevant, and to what extent do they need to
be worked out? While we have a good understanding of the time course of
lexical access, we still do lack details concerning the components at the
various levels. For example, what are the specificities at the conceptual
level? Which features typically get activated to evoke concepts like
'justice', 'nationality', 'panda'?
- How to combine existing lexical resources to allow for their joined usage?

In sum, in this Research Topic, we welcome papers devoted to the mental
lexicon, its electronic emulation in the form of an electronic resource likely
to support humans in wordfinding (word access), and other cognitive aspects of
the lexicon. Both theoretical/conceptual and empirical contributions are
welcome.

In order to be practical, we suggest to send us by the 28th of February 2021
an abstract, so that we can tell you whether it complies with the goals of
this specific issue. The fully written document is expected by 30 June 2021.