32.439, Summer Schools: Old Frisian Summer School 'Old Frisian and its Neighbours' / Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 4 23:10:41 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-439. Thu Feb 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.439, Summer Schools:  Old Frisian Summer School 'Old Frisian and its Neighbours' / Netherlands

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 18:10:26
From: Johanneke Sytsema [johanneke.sytsema at ling-phil.ox.ac.uk]

Old Frisian Summer School 'Old Frisian and its Neighbours'

Host Institution: University of Groningen
Website: https://www.rug.nl/education/summer-winter-schools/old_frisian/?lang=en

Dates: 05-Jul-2021 - 10-Jul-2021
Location: Leeuwarden, Fryslân, Netherlands

Focus: The central theme 'Old Frisian and its Neighbours' concerns medieval language shifts along the North Sea coast: Old Frisian, Old/Middle Dutch and Old Saxon/Middle Low German.
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum

Special Qualifications:
Open to students (undergraduate, postgraduate, PhD) and to early career researchers.

During the translation workshops, participants will learn to read and
interpret Old Frisian texts and get a good grasp of its grammatical
structures. There will be a good balance between workshops, grammar lectures
and lectures on the various language shifts Frisian experienced over the
medieval period, when it gave way to Dutch or Low German. A visit to the
Frisian Academy and Tresoar, where most of the Old Frisian manuscripts are
kept, will be included as well as a visit to the city of Groningen.  Confirmed
speakers include prof. Frits van Oostrom (UU), prof. Arjen Versloot (UvA),
prof. Marc Pierce (University of Texas) and Dr. Michiel de Vaan (Lausanne
University).

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics

Subject Languages: Frisian, Old

Language Families: Germanic

Tuition: 300 EURO

Tuition Explanation: This is a hybrid summerschool. Tuition for 'on campus' (physical) attendance
is 300 euro.
Tuition for 'online only' attendance is 200 euro. Should the physical
summerschool have to be cancelled, we will assume that you will attend the
'online' version. Of course, you will get a refund of 100 euro if you paid for
'on campus'.

Registration: 29-Jan-2021 to 06-May-2021

Contact Person: Anne Popkema
                Email: ofss at rug.nl

Registration Instructions:
Please scroll down to Application Procedure and click 'Apply now'. You will be
sent an invoice after submitting your application.

Choose 'on campus' for attending in person or choose 'online'.
Note that the OFSS will always take place online, and hopefully 'on campus'.
If the decision has to be taken to cancel 'on campus' we assume you will take
part online. We will refund the fee difference.