32.576, FYI: Call for Book Chapter Submissions: Re-envisioning Language Teaching & Learning in Asia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 16 09:38:15 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-576. Tue Feb 16 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.576, FYI: Call for Book Chapter Submissions: Re-envisioning Language Teaching & Learning in Asia

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 04:37:42
From: John Adamson [johnadamson253 at hotmail.com]

For this edited book project we are soliciting well-researched, practical
investigations into language teaching and learning in Asia. This project
follows our first two edited book projects, Innovating EFL Teaching in Asia
(Palgrave Macmillan, 2011) and Exploring EFL Fluency in Asia (Palgrave
Macmillan, 2014). In it, we hope to showcase practical inquiries, with the
working title of Re-envisioning Language Teaching & Learning in Asia. Each
chapter will present original research concerning language learning and
teaching, not necessarily classroom-based or focused around formal educational
contexts. Finally, by the term ‘in Asia’ we are interested in studies
concerned with the Asian context and the Asian diaspora, wherever located in
light of the changing global landscape and patterns of global migration.
Possible themes to be addressed include:

1. Approaches to developing student capabilities, such as: Teaching content
through English using approaches such as: EMI, CLIL, CBI, and/or ESP, Active
learning, including Task-based language teaching and learning (TBLT), project
and/or problem-based learning (PBL)Skills-based teaching, including learner
fluency, accuracy, and complexity
2. Approaches to promoting learner autonomy and life-long learning, such as:
Self-directed learning, Motivation, agency, and identity, Self-access learning
3. Specific approaches to teaching that may be particularly relevant in a
post-pandemic world, such as: Educational technology, CALL, Blended approaches
4. Investigations into teacher education, including pre-service and/or
in-service training as well as continuing professional development (CPD)
5.Investigations into multilingualism, translanguaging/translingualism related
to language teaching and learning
6. … and anything else we may have missed

Submission Process
We invite abstracts of 500 words (not including references) in text document
format (doc, docx, or odt) as expressions of interest by no later than August
31, 2021 to theron at las.u-toyama.ac.jp. Please also address inquiries to this
address.

We will screen the submitted abstracts and notify authors of our decision by
the end of September, 2021. We plan to request full papers of up to either
5,000 or 8,000 words (including references) to be submitted by the end of
February 2022. In your abstract submission, please indicate whether you are
submitting a practical paper of 5,000 words or a full paper of 8,000 words.

As we are interested in accessibility of scholarship to under-resourced
communities, we are considering using an alternative publisher for this
project, The International Teacher Development Institute (iTDi). iTDi is a
provider of teacher development courses accessible to people throughout Asia.

Dr. Theron Muller, Dr. John L. Adamson, Steven Herder, and Philip Shigeo Brown

Subject Language(s): English (eng)