32.577, Calls: Hist Ling, Ling & Lit, Socioling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 16 18:01:42 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-577. Tue Feb 16 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.577, Calls: Hist Ling, Ling & Lit, Socioling/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 13:01:13
From: Nuria Yáñez-Bouza [nuria.y.b at uvigo.es]
Subject: 6th Prescriptivism Conference

Full Title: 6th Prescriptivism Conference
Short Title: Prescriptivism2021

Date: 23-Sep-2021 - 25-Sep-2021
Location: Online, Spain
Contact Person: Nuria Yanez-Bouza
Meeting Email: prescriptivism at uvigo.es
Web Site: http://prescriptivism2021.uvigo.gal

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Mar-2021

Meeting Description:

Five previous highly successful conferences in this series have demonstrated
the value of studying prescriptivism, as scholars from a variety of language
traditions and approaches have garnered valuable insights into prescriptivism
and standardisation in language. Following Sheffield (2003), Ragusa (2006),
Toronto (2009), Leiden (2013), and Park City, Utah (2017), the theme of the
next conference in Vigo (2021) will be “Modelling Prescriptivism: Language,
Literature, and Speech Communities”.

The conference plenary speakers are:
 - Joan C. Beal (University of Sheffield, UK)
 - Kate Burridge (Monash University, Australia)
 - Don Chapman (Brigham Young University, USA)

The event will be hosted via Zoom and will run over three days with
non-parallel sessions. Participants may choose a live or a pre-recorded
presentation; the discussions will all be live. Technical details to follow.

Second Call for Papers:

We invite papers on any aspect of prescriptivism in any of these three
strands, approaching the subject from ideology and methodology, diachrony and
synchrony. The conference language will be English, but we will welcome papers
focussed on English and New/World Englishes as well as other official and/or
minority languages. Proposals may be on topics including (but not limited to)
the following:
 - the history of prescriptivism and standardisation
 - methods for the study of prescriptivism
 - linguistic approaches to prescriptivism
 - literary approaches to prescriptivism
 - prescriptivism in new varieties of English
 - prescriptivism in speech communities

Individual Proposals. Please send a proposal for a paper with a maximum of 400
words (including references). Abstracts must be anonymised. Presentations will
consist of 20-min talk + 10-min Q&A. Roundtable Proposals. Please send a
proposal for a roundtable with a maximum of 600 words (including references).
The papers should be connected by one core subject for discussion and/or a
central question for the panel to answer. We suggest 3 to 5 individuals. An
example format would be: 40 minutes of presentations, 15 minutes discussion,
30 minutes Q&A. Authors are allowed to submit two abstracts if at least one of
the papers is co-authored.

The submission deadline is 1 March 2021 and notification of acceptance will be
sent by 20 April 2021. Abstract submission is via EasyChair at
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=prescriptivism2021.

We have plans for publishing a peer-reviewed selection of papers from the
conference, most likely in thematically coherent volumes which will be
submitted for the consideration of international publishers.

For further information, please consult our website or send us an e-mail:
http://prescriptivism2021.uvigo.gal
prescriptivism at uvigo.es