32.582, Confs: Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Gen Ling, Philos of Lang, Pragmatics/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 16 19:13:48 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-582. Tue Feb 16 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.582, Confs: Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Gen Ling, Philos of Lang, Pragmatics/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 14:13:18
From: Maite Seidel [seidel at leibniz-zas.de]
Subject: Theme 3: Social Meaning & Semantics/Pragmatics of Harmful Speech

Theme 3: Social Meaning & Semantics/Pragmatics of Harmful Speech (Feb.18-19)

Date: 18-Feb-2021 - 19-Feb-2021
Location: Berlin (Virtual), Germany
Contact: Mihaela Popa-Wyatt
Contact Email: popa-wyatt at leibniz-zas.de
Meeting URL: https://www.leibniz-zas.de/en/about-us/events/details/events/5946-modelling-oppressive-speechnorms-a

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; General Linguistics; Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics

Meeting Description:

Speech can be used to change societies in bad ways. It supports institutional
oppression, establishes new oppressive norms, silences opponents, spreads
disinformation and propagates feelings of hate. Online communities magnify the
effects of individual speech acts. This workshop series, comprising five
meetings, will dive into five different aspects of oppressive speech. We’ll
look at social norms and institutions, silencing and free speech, social
meaning, norm-shifting and disinformation. We’ll bring several tools and
perspectives from linguistics, social modelling, and philosophy, including
game theory, semantics/pragmatics and speech act theory. We’ll seek answers to
how oppressive speech works and how to defend against it.

Program Information:

Thursday, 18 February 2021
Elin McCready: Enriched dogwhistles and ideologies
Roland Mühlenbernd: Politeness and Reputation
David Pietraszewski: Understanding oppressive speech through the lens of
humans’ evolved coalitional psychology
Julia Zakkou & Alexander Dinges: On Deniability
Eric Swanson: If You See Something, Say Something: On the Dynamics of Deniable
Possibility Raising

Friday, 19 February 2021
Uli Sauerland: The division of socio-emotive and logical meaning from the
meaning first perspective
Anton Benz: Precision and Vagueness: Social meaning in Bayesian games
Stephanie Solt, Andrea Beltrama & Heather Burnett: On the social meaning of
(im)precision in context
Michael Franke & Chris Cummins: Modeling manipulative language use
Justin Khoo: Code words and community norms

Please register here: https://eveeno.com/modelling-oppressive-speech