32.581, Calls: Socioling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 16 18:57:53 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-581. Tue Feb 16 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.581, Calls: Socioling/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 13:57:12
From: Jaspal Singh [singhjn at hku.hk]
Subject: Language Ideologies and Political Discourse

Full Title: Language Ideologies and Political Discourse
Short Title: DN27

Date: 12-Jul-2021 - 14-Jul-2021
Location: Milton Keynes (Virtual), United Kingdom
Contact Person: Jaspal Singh
Meeting Email: dn27 at discourseanalysis.net
Web Site: https://discourseanalysis.net/en/discoursenet-dn-27-language-ideologies-and-political-discourse

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 11-Apr-2021

Meeting Description:

Ideologies regarding the social value of languages and discourses are
contested, especially in times of political polarisation. Whether it be
political rhetoric valorising certain languages over others in social media
messages of populist leaders, activism promoting the revitalisation of
minoritised languages or the hegemony of colonial languages in academic
publishing, we can observe how language ideologies are constructed, and how
they permeate every public domain. With this conference, we aim to explore the
intersections between language ideology and political discourse, understanding
both notions in their broadest terms, and to find tactical solutions to
prevent a language ideological meltdown of political discourse; i.e. a
politicisation of essential understandings of language as belonging to
specific people and not to others. The conference thus aims to open up a
critical space in which we can explore ideological discourses that make the
indexical links between language and politics meaningful, aiming, ultimately,
to reposition ourselves and our research within the very same political
discourse that we investigate.

Invited speakers:
 - Nishaant Choksi, Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar, India
 - Kara Fleming, KIMEP University, Kazakhstan
 - Korina Gioxaglou, Open University, United Kingdom
 - Kristina Hultgren, Open University, United Kingdom
 - Isabelle Léglise, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, France
 - Mie Hiramoto, National University of Singapore
 - Adriana Patiño-Santos, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
 - Santiago Sanchez Moreano, Open University, United Kingdom
 - Maria Secova, Open University, United Kingdom
 - Quentin Williams, University of the Western Cape, South Africa

Format:
DN27 will be held as a virtual conference. However, we do not want to simply
emulate an offline conferencing experience, so we have decided to experiment
with alternative formats. We hope that our ideas will facilitate discussion
and interaction among you and help you engage with each other’s work in
mutually productive and non-hierarchical ways.

Please visit our website for more information:
https://discourseanalysis.net/en/discoursenet-dn-27-language-ideologies-and-po
litical-discourse

Call for Papers:

We invite contributions that critically engage with one or more of the
following themes:
 - Populism and language ideology
 - Colonial languages in the academy
 - Selling English (accents)
 - English as a lingua franca
 - Teaching global languages
 - Ethnonational linguistic purification
 - Language ideology and nation building
 - Monolingual ideologies in the alt-right
 - Linguistic revival movements
 - The quest for pre-colonial languages
 - Decolonising language ideologies
 - Neoliberal pressures on language learning
 - Superdiversity and hypersubjectivity
 - Love and affect as political concepts
 - National and local language policies
 - Family language policies
 - Language ideology and religion
 - Minoritised languages
 - Ethnolinguistic vitality
 - Raciolinguistics
 - Language rights and essentialisation
 - Linguistic citizenship
 - Linguistic justice
 - Scales
 - Ethics of ethnography
 - Metapragmatic reflexivity

You will find the conference webpages here:
https://discourseanalysis.net/en/discoursenet-dn-27-language-ideologies-and-po
litical-discourse. Please use this link
(https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=-XhTSvQpPk2-iWadA62p2AqaH
lODclxNp5d-wJtHl7RUOE9MVE5GQ1U2RFpCVkFJNVQ3V1g3QVU2Qy4u&wdLOR=cA07BAE91-97FB-5
446-87C5-6A5172AB5660) to submit your 200-word abstract and up to five
keywords by 11 April 2021.