32.74, Books: Style in Narrative: Hogan

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 7 04:03:15 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-74. Wed Jan 06 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.74, Books: Style in Narrative: Hogan

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 23:01:42
From:  Oxford University Press [humanitiesmarketing at oup.com]
Subject: Style in Narrative: Hogan

Title: Style in Narrative
Subtitle: Aspects of an Affective-Cognitive Stylistics
Series Title: Cognition and Poetics

Publication Year: 2020
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/style-in-narrative-9780197539576?utm_source=linguistlist&utm_medium=listserv&utm_campaign=linguistics

Author: Patrick Colm Hogan

Hardback: ISBN:  9780197539576 Pages: 320 Price: U.S. $ 99

Abstract:

Literary style is something many people talk about, but few could define. Yet
it is crucial for our response to narrative art. Style can facilitate or
obscure the events of a story or the motivations of a character, enhance the
aesthetic appeal of a narrative or complicate its emotional impact, and even
inflect the political or ethical implications of a work. It is precisely this
complex operation of style that Patrick Colm Hogan explains in Style in
Narrative.

Drawing on recent psychological research, this book proposes a new and clear
definition of style and provides a systematic theoretical account of style in
relation to cognitive and affective science. Hogan's definition stresses that
style varies by both scope, or the range of text or texts that may share a
style, and level, the components of an individual work that might involve a
shared style. The book uses rich examples from literature, film, and graphic
fiction, including analysis of Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway, Shakespeare's
canon, William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying, and Art Spiegelman's Maus, as well
as visual analysis of films by Robert Rodriguez, Deepa Mehta, Eric Rohmer,
M.F. Husain, Yasujiro Ozu, and Chuan Lu. Through these studies Hogan
identifies stylistic concerns common across mediums as well as the most
consequential stylistic differences between them.

Bringing together three often separated mediums within a coherent framework,
Style in Narrative makes an important contribution to and necessary
intervention in the field of stylistics.

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature
                     Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=150453