32.2268, Summer Schools: Penn State Workshops in Research Methods for Applied Linguists / USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 3 20:05:34 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2268. Sat Jul 03 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2268, Summer Schools:  Penn State Workshops in Research Methods for Applied Linguists / USA

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 16:05:13
From: Kevin McManus [kmcmanus at psu.edu]

Penn State Workshops in Research Methods for Applied Linguists

Host Institution:
Website: https://sites.psu.edu/clasummerschool/

Dates: 17-Sep-2021 - 05-Nov-2021
Location: University Park, Pennsylvania, USA

Focus: Research Methods is Applied Linguistics
Minimum Education Level: MA

Now in its second year, the Penn State Workshops in Research Methods for
Applied Linguists responds to recent developments in the field concerning how
we carry out our research projects: from considerations of research design and
data collection to data analysis and interpretation. This increased scrutiny
of how we accumulate knowledge has come to be known as the “methodological
turn”. Of course, this is of no surprise. Research methods are at the heart of
any research project and can have major consequences for the nature of a
study’s findings and conclusions. To contribute to this turning point in the
field, the Penn State Workshops in Research Methods for Applied Linguists
provide graduate students and faculty with hands-on training in cutting-edge
research methods, including mixed method, qualitative, and quantitative
approaches. The workshops involve all stages of the research process. This
year we are excited to announce four research methodology workshops for
applied linguists. Our instructors are experts in their respective research
methods:

Research Methods for Digital Discourse Analysis (Camilla Vásquez, University
of South Florida)
September 17, 2021

Eye Tracking as a Tool for Language Researchers (Aline Godfroid, Michigan
State University)
September 24, 2021

Introduction to Conversation Analysis as a Research Method for the Study of L2
Classroom Interaction (Joan Kelly Hall, Penn State University)
October 15, 2021

Research Synthesis and Meta-analysis in Applied Linguistics (Luke Plonsky,
Northern Arizona University)
November 5, 2021

Participants can choose to attend any number of workshops. All workshops will
take place online (with Zoom) and are free to attend. We welcome you to learn
more about the courses by visiting our website. Spaces are limited and are
reserved on a first come, first serve basis using the registration form.

                      Cognitive Science
                      Discourse Analysis
                      Language Acquisition
                      Psycholinguistics

Tuition Explanation: Participation in the Workshops is free, but registration is required

Registration: 01-Jul-2021 to 01-Sep-2021

Contact Person: Kevin McManus
                Email: kmcmanus at psu.edu

Registration Instructions:
Participants can register to attend one or multiple workshops by completing
the registration form on the website. Registration is free. Places are
available on a first come, first served basis