32.2274, FYI: Call for Chapter Proposals for an Edited Volume “Pattern Theory in Language and Communication”

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Jul 4 06:10:15 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2274. Sun Jul 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2274, FYI: Call for Chapter Proposals for an Edited Volume “Pattern Theory in Language and Communication”

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 02:09:51
From: Milena Belosevic [belosevic at uni-trier.de]

Pattern Theory in Language and Communication

Call for chapter proposals for an edited volume

Editors: Sabine Arndt-Lappe, Milena Belosevic, Peter Maurer, Claudine Moulin,
Achim Rettinger and Sören Stumpf

The volume Pattern Theory in Language and Communication will provide a
state-of-the-art overview of interdisciplinary perspectives on the nature of
patterns in language and communication. In contrast to the terms that come
with underlying assumptions about which forces produce pertinent patterns or
focus on phenomena that cut across and are, therefore, not compatible with
established categories (e.g. ‘rules’, ‘schemata’, ‘frames’, ‘topics ‘,
‘style‘), we define ‘pattern’ as empirical surface phenomena that are
identified by researchers in language usage and communication. Putting
‘pattern’ at centre stage, we focus on a strictly empirical, data-driven, and,
hence, methodological perspective. The central aim of this book, then, is to
lay out and discuss the empirical foundations of research on patterns in
language and communication. The volume seeks to bring together different
linguistic disciplines and communication and media studies (cf. for further
details: https://patterns.uni-trier.de/2237/?lang=en).

Organisation

The book will be published as an Open Access volume with an internationally
visible publisher. Each contribution will be peer-reviewed by at least one
external and one internal reviewer. At least one review will represent a
perspective from a different research community. Reviews will be double-blind
in the first round. Upon acceptance of the contribution, however, reviewers
will be invited to publish a short commentary on the basis of their review,
which will be published together with the article under their name. This way,
we hope that both the process of making the book as well as the book itself
will foster dialogue among participating researchers.

Invitation for contributions

We invite researchers interested in contributing to submit a short abstract
(300 words max., excluding references) in PDF format on our EasyChair
platform: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ptlc21. Please also provide
the section of the volume (cf.: https://patterns.uni-trier.de/2237/?lang=en)
in which you would like to see your article and five keywords.

Deadline for the submission of abstracts: September 15, 2021
Notification of acceptance: October 01, 2021
Authors of accepted abstracts will be invited to submit a full manuscript
until March 31, 22. Decisions on the final acceptance of manuscripts will be
based on the outcome of the peer-review process.

For more information about the volume, please visit
https://patterns.uni-trier.de/2237/?lang=en or contact Sabine Arndt-Lappe
(arndtlappe at uni-trier.de) or Sören Stumpf (stumpf at uni-trier.de).

                     Computational Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis