32.2369, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax: Post Doc, Saarland University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 13 16:16:42 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2369. Tue Jul 13 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2369, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax: Post Doc, Saarland University

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 12:14:10
From: Alexander Koller [koller at coli.uni-saarland.de]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax: Post Doc, Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany

University or Organization: Saarland University
Department: Department of Language Science and Technology
Job Location: Saarbrücken, Germany
Web Address: https://www.lst.uni-saarland.de/en/
Job Title: Research and teaching position in computational linguistics (postdoc or PhD)
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax

We are looking to fill a research and teaching position in computational
linguistics. The position is part of the research group of Prof. Alexander
Koller, but offers great flexibility in developing your own research and
teaching agenda.

The position is flexible with respect to topic, but it should connect
thematically with current topics of interest to the research group. These
include syntactic and semantic parsing, semantics, dialogue, and natural
language generation. You should have expertise in neural and/or linguistically
principled methods in computational linguistics and be willing to take an
active role in shaping the research and teaching environment of the
department.

The position includes a teaching load of up to four hours per week in the BSc
Computational Linguistics (in German) and/or the MSc Language Science and
Technology (in English). Both programs attract excellent and highly motivated
students; it is not unusual for our students to publish papers at
peer-reviewed conferences before graduation, and two thirds of our MSc
students are international. You will typically teach two seminars per semester
on topics of your choice.

This is a position on the German TV-L E13 scale (100% position at the postdoc
level; 75% position at the PhD student level). The starting salary of a 100%
TV-L E13 position is about 50,000 Euros per year and increases with
experience. The initial appointment will be for three years and can be
extended. The starting date is September 2021 or later.

Requirements:
We are looking for candidates who have finished, or are about to complete, an
excellent PhD degree (at the postdoc level) or MSc degree (at the PhD student
level) in computational linguistics or a related discipline. You must be
proficient in English (spoken and written); the ability to teach in German is
a plus.

Priority will be given to applicants at the postdoc level, who should have
demonstrated their research expertise through high-quality publications.
However, we will also consider applicants at the PhD student level.

About the department:
Saarland University is one of the leading centers for computational
linguistics in Europe, and offers a dynamic and stimulating research
environment. The Department of Language Science and Technology organizes about
100 research staff in eight research groups in the fields of computational
linguistics, psycholinguistics, speech processing, and corpus linguistics.

The department is the centerpiece of the Collaborative Research Center 1102
"Information Density and Linguistic Encoding". It is part of the Saarland
Informatics Campus, which brings together computer science research at the
university with world-class research institutions on campus, such as the Max
Planck Institute for Informatics and the German Research Center for Artificial
Intelligence (DFKI).

Saarland University is located in Saarbrücken, a mid-sized city in the
tri-border area of Germany, France, and Luxembourg. Saarbrücken combines a
lively culture scene with a relaxed atmosphere, and is quite an affordable
place to live in. Our department maintains an international and diverse work
environment. The primary working language is English.

Include a single PDF file with the following information:
- a statement of research interests that motivates why you are applying for
this position and outlines your research agenda;
- a full CV including your list of publications;
- scans of transcripts and academic degree certificates;
- the names, affiliations, and e-mail addresses of two people who can provide
letters of reference for you.

Priority will be given to applications received by July 25, 2021; open until
filled.

Application Deadline: 25-Jul-2021

Web Address for Applications: http://apply.coli.uni-saarland.de/ak21
Contact Information: