32.2471, All: Obituary for Joanna Błaszczak, Part Six

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 26 07:39:27 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2471. Mon Jul 26 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2471, All:  Obituary for Joanna Błaszczak, Part Six

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 03:39:17
From: Małgorzata Cavar [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Obituary for Joanna Błaszczak, Part Six

In memory of Joanna Błaszczak, we are circulating a short series of
contributions from her colleagues and students.

Her dedication to research, her amazing knowledge, determination, charisma
will remain an inspiration to her colleagues, students and friends. She will
be sorely missed by many.

Joanna’s website is available here:
http://www.ifa.uni.wroc.pl/instytut/pracownicy/20/?lang=pl

Memories and condolences can be shared via
https://www.remembr.com/joanna.blaszczak

A colloquium in memory of Prof. Błaszczak will be organized by colleagues at
the University of Wroclaw, Zentrum für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft, Berlin
and the University of Potsdam. More information will be available soon.

Marcin Orszulak:

My personal memory of Joanna, the one that will stay with me, is connected
with her fondness for animals. Since a dog joined my family, we would often
detour from linguistic topics to pets. Although she couldn't have a pet in her
adult life (we all know how busy she was!), she talked about her childhood dog
and other dogs in her family. When we met to consult my PhD project, we would
always start with the subjunctive and end with the photos of my beagle. The
way our meetings proceeded tells a lot about Joanna. She was a committed
linguist as well as a sensitive and kind person.

Hanna Kędzierska:

No words can fully express my sadness now – I owe Joanna incredibly much since
she was my mentor, MA and PhD advisor, and the head of the lab which I had the
honour to be part of. Her talent, passion and unprecedented personal attitude
towards her students motivated us (I believe I can speak for all former and
current ETHEL students now) to constantly develop as aspiring linguists and as
knowledgeable human beings. I will always remember Joanna not only as a
brilliant scientist and a generous supervisor, but most importantly as the
most humble of the smartest people I know, a great nature lover with an open
mind and heart.

Jennifer Dorman:

Joanna Błaszczak was a brilliant linguist, a tireless researcher, and a
dedicated professor. I count myself among the lucky students who had a chance
to learn from and with her. Behind the professional accolades and publications
stood a rare and truly selfless individual, one who viewed teaching as an
opportunity to mentor aspiring linguists. Joanna cared deeply for her students
as learners and as people, exhibiting patience while skilfully and creatively
coaching us to construct our own understanding and make sense of what we were
learning. Never one to return work with a simple score, Joanna always took the
time to provide the feedback and guidance that would help us improve and
progress. Joanna will be greatly missed, though her impact endures through the
work of her many students, research partners, and colleagues. I will miss her.

Veranika Puhacheuskaya:

Joanna has made a tremendous impact in my life, both personal and academic. I
have never known a supervisor who was as devoted to her students as she was,
disregarding her own needs completely. She did everything that was and wasn’t
in her power to always get the best for us: best projects, best funding, best
equipment. Her intelligence and kindness were superhuman. Whenever I am stuck
on a problem and need guidance, I keep asking myself, “What would Joanna do in
my place?” I feel like I lost a parent, and this loss is unbearable.

Magdalena Frankowska:

Joasia was not just a tutor or supervisor. She was a mentor. With her attitude
and meticulousness, she set up certain standard I wanted to live up to. I
wanted to know it all just as she seemed to know everything and have read
about everything. It was she who introduced me to the scientific approach. She
made me believe in myself, encouraged me to be an investigator and turned my
studies into an exciting journey through the fascinating world of languages.
She was fun to work and be with.

Paula Liczbańska:

If I were to find one word to describe Joanna, I'd say she was extraordinary.
Never have I met anyone so dedicated to their work, with such passion and
drive. She cared so much and spent every hour of her time to help and guide
others. I felt like we were colleagues sharing ideas, even though the
knowledge she possessed could easily intimidate a student. I've seen many
lives changing thanks to her, including mine. For that I will always be
grateful.

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable