32.2472, All: Obituary for Joanna Błaszczak, Part Seven

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 26 07:39:55 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2472. Mon Jul 26 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2472, All:  Obituary for Joanna Błaszczak, Part Seven

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 03:39:44
From: Małgorzata Cavar [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Obituary for Joanna Błaszczak, Part Seven

In memory of Joanna Błaszczak, we are circulating a short series of
contributions from her colleagues and students.

Her dedication to research, her amazing knowledge, determination, charisma
will remain an inspiration to her colleagues, students and friends. She will
be sorely missed by many.

Joanna’s website is available here:
http://www.ifa.uni.wroc.pl/instytut/pracownicy/20/?lang=pl

Memories and condolences can be shared via
https://www.remembr.com/joanna.blaszczak

A colloquium in memory of Prof. Błaszczak will be organized by colleagues at
the University of Wroclaw, Zentrum für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft, Berlin
and the University of Potsdam. More information will be available soon.

Juliia Globa:

Professor Joanna Blaszczak will be truly missed by anyone who had a chance to
meet her and work with her.  She was intelligent, kind, and dedicated to
science. Her hard work was always an inspiration for many of us from the first
meetings. She was not only an indisputable professional in her field but also
a wonderful, talented mentor, as well as a sincere interlocutor. I'm thankful
that I got an opportunity to know her personally, as she was truly one of a
kind. I will miss those lively discussions, the inspiration that came from
her, and the friendly, family-like atmosphere that she could create. Now I
don't think that there are no irreplaceable people, because professor
Blaszczak was surely the one. R. I. P

Wojciech Milczarski:

Professor Joanna Błaszczak was my supervisor at the University of Wrocław at
the ETHEL course. I will forever remember her as a very warm and supportive
person, that greeted my friends and me in our small group. She treated us like
research partners and friends, which felt like a little family. She was a
brilliant teacher and world-class scientist, and I will be endlessly grateful
to have been under her wings. My memories of her will be cherished, and I will
never forget her and her influence on me, which made me grow as a person.
Apart from her professional life, Joanna always was a kind, understanding,
compassionate person who will be dearly missed by her students, friends, and
family.

Anna Borkowska:

Professor Joanna Błaszczak was my supervisor. But she was so much more than
that. She was an inspiring woman, who helped me believe in myself, and
encouraged me to become a confident, happier version of myself. She was an
incredibly kind and warm person. The ETHEL programme, which she coordinated,
felt a lot more like a family than anything else. We will all miss her dearly,
and I am sure that the advice she gave us will continue to guide us through
the rest of our lives.

Małgorzata Cavar:

Joasia’s work filled her life. There was always a long list of projects she
was involved in. She would try to fit too much in her calendar, then worry
that so much needs to be done, yet somehow still be able to tick one project
after the other off the list, diligently, dependably, punctually. She could
never do anything half-heartedly.  Her papers usually ran longer than the
allowed page limit and then she had to figure out how to shorten them. She
gave so much to so many, always putting other people before herself. She cared
a lot about her students and never declined requests for help. In private, her
life was very modest. She liked neutral colors and classical styles. She had a
weakness for ice cream.

It is difficult to write dispassionately about the death of a friend. It is
futile to search for the meaning of the death of a person at the peak of their
capacities. Her passing is so heartbreaking. Joanna had just turned 50. She
had just received the title of a ‘presidential’ professor, awarded by the
president of Poland. We are all mourning a great scholar, a generous teacher,
mentor and colleague who made others thrive. I am mourning a friend. I keep
looking at my last message to her, now knowing she will never respond; so out
of character for her.

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable