32.2127, Jobs: Discourse Analysis: Post Doc, University of Canterbury

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 21 18:17:12 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2127. Mon Jun 21 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2127, Jobs: Discourse Analysis: Post Doc, University of Canterbury

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 14:15:47
From: Emma Parnell [emma.parnell at canterbury.ac.nz]
Subject: Discourse Analysis: Post Doc, University of Canterbury, New Zealand

 University or Organization: University of Canterbury
Department: New Zealand Institute of Language Brain & Behaviour
Job Location: Canterbury, New Zealand
Web Address: https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/nzilbb/
Job Title: Post-Doctoral Fellow
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis

New Zealand Institute of Language Brain and Behaviour (NZILBB) /
UC Arts Digital Lab (ADL)
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Full-time at 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE)
Fixed-term position (18 months)

What You Will Do:
The New Zealand Institute of Language, Brain and Behaviour, in association with the UC Arts Digital Lab, is seeking a Post-Doctoral Fellow to join the team of researchers working on a Royal Society of New Zealand Marsden Fund Grant 'Kōrero mai. Tell us your earthquake story' - A longitudinal study of post-disaster narratives. The research team comprises Professor Paul Millar, Professor Jen Hay, Professor Jeanette King, Associate Professor Rosemary Du Plessis, and Dr Chris Thomson.

In 2019/2020 our team re-recorded the earthquake narratives of a cohort of participants who had first given us their earthquake stories in 2012. The resulting longitudinal dataset now underpins an interdisciplinary study of the retelling of disaster narratives from similarly affected participants.

Our project has 4 main goals:
- To understand how retellings of dramatic experience years later crystallize narrative structure,
- To provide multi-faceted perspectives of people's experiences of post-disaster recovery,
- To reveal more of how narratives of traumatic events change over time, and
- To understand what retelling reveals about variations in post-disaster recovery and adaptation when factors such as ethnicity, gender, age, disability, socio-economic status, and geographical location are taken into account.

Who You Are:
- Applications are invited from researchers with expertise in discourse analysis. Associated experience with computational text analysis, other aspects of textual linguistics, or text-based digital humanities projects is also welcome.
- The successful applicant will have a PhD in a relevant area.
- The Postdoctoral Fellow will be employed by the New Zealand Institute of Language Brain and Behaviour, at the University of Canterbury, and be based in the UC Arts Digital Lab.

Who You Will Work With:
The New Zealand Institute of Language, Brain and Behaviour (NZILBB) is a multi-disciplinary centre dedicated to the study of human language. The researchers come from a wide range of disciplines, forging connections across linguistics, speech production and perception, language acquisition, language disorders, social cognition, memory, brain imaging, cognitive science, bilingual education, and interface technologies. This highly interdisciplinary team is working together toward a truly unified understanding of how language is acquired, produced and understood in its social and physical contexts. For more information about our team, please visit us at https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/nzilbb/

Why UC:
For more information about the University of Canterbury, please visit https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/

We offer a range of benefits, for more information on UC, please visit us: http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/joinus

The closing date for this position is: Sunday, 11th July 2021 (midnight NZ time)

How to Apply:
Applications for this position must be submitted on our careers website which can be found at the application link below, and should include a cover letter and resume. Please note, we do not accept applications by email, however we are happy to answer your queries in relation to the application process, please forward these to WorkatUC at canterbury.ac.nz

Further information about this role, can be obtained by contacting Emma Parnell at the contact information below.

To be considered for this role, you must have New Zealand or Australia.

Application Deadline: 11-Jul-2021

Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.canterbury.ac.nz/?job=6274LING
Contact Information:
	Emma Parnell