32.746, Calls: Discipline of Ling, Gen Ling/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 1 19:43:40 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-746. Mon Mar 01 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.746, Calls: Discipline of Ling, Gen Ling/Poland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 14:43:14
From: Jarosław Weckwerth [wjarek at amu.edu.pl]
Subject: 50th Poznan Linguistic Meeting

Full Title: 50th Poznan Linguistic Meeting
Short Title: PLM2021

Date: 16-Sep-2021 - 19-Sep-2021
Location: Poznan, Poland
Contact Person: Alyona Kononenko-Szoszkiewicz
Meeting Email: plm at wa.amu.edu.pl
Web Site: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics; General Linguistics

Call Deadline: 28-Mar-2021

Meeting Description:

The 50th Poznań Linguistic Meeting will take place on 16–19 September 2021.
The form of the meeting – online or onsite – will be decided depending on the
epidemiological situation in the second quarter of 2021, and predictions for
the third quarter available at that time. We sincerely hope to be able to meet
all of our linguist friends in person after the hiatus of 2020!
While more than 100 abstracts were accepted in the 2020 round of submissions,
proposals are still for papers meant both for our general sessions, and for
the thematic sessions, in particular three new ones that were not included in
the original round (on phonological diversity, endangered languages and
language technology).

PLENARIES
The keynote address will be given by
* Ian Maddieson (University of New Mexico)
Plenary speakers confirmed at this point:
* Martine Robbeets (Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History)
* Joanna Pawelczyk (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań)
* Charles B. Chang (Boston University)

GRAND DEBATE
Over several recent editions, PLM has developed a tradition of the plenary
speakers debating on topics related to each year's leitmotif. To make the
debate even more special for the jubilee edition, we have decided to extend an
invitation to participate in it to our past plenary speakers. We think we are
justified in hoping for an in-depth and stimulating discussion on the
importance of linguistics today. Prospective participants include Dennis
Preston, Nikolaus Ritt, Przemysław Tajsner, Tobias Scheer, Marzena Żygis,
Sarah Hawkins and Eugeniusz Cyran.

THEMATIC SESSIONS
Six thematic sessions and a workshop are planned:
* Phonological diversity matters, convened by C. Anderson, N. Kuznetsova and
S. Easterday, with a separate submission deadline of 09 Apr 2021.
* Future of less favoured languages: Indigenous, regional and minority status,
organized by CPIL (Comité International Permanent des Linguistes) and FEL
(Foundation of Endangered Languages).
* How language technology supports multilingualism and language variety in the
modern world, organized by CPIL and The European Chapter of the Association
for Computational Linguistics (EACL).
* Inclusive linguistic research matters: Underrepresented populations,
unexplored contexts, and emerging types of data (convened by B. Brzoza and A.
Wagner)
* Word order matters (convened by J. Witkoś and P. Tajsner)
* Discourse and terminology matters: Investigating specialized communication
and translation (convened by M. Perdek and M. Zabielska)
* Surfing the Brainwaves workshop (conducted by R. Jończyk)

OTHER PLENARY EVENTS
* Thirty Years of Contrastive Linguistics Conferences: A session in memory of
Jacek Fisiak (1936–2019)
* Great Returns: Poznań graduates around the world.

Second Call for Papers:

Please note that the general deadline has been extended to 28 March.

All abstracts of papers and posters to be presented at the 50th PLM must be
submitted using the EasyChair system (see our website). They must comply with
the present guidelines.

Proposals of papers are invited for general oral and poster sessions, thematic
sessions, and an additional poster session for PhD candidates. The
presentations related to the leitmotif as well as to other topics within
modern linguistics are welcome. Each paper in the oral sessions will be
assigned a time slot of 30 minutes, including 10 minutes for discussion. Both
poster sessions will form an integral part of the conference programme.

The special PhD poster session will be geared towards younger researchers
wishing to present their PhD projects to a larger scientific community and,
thus, to receive valuable feedback on their work at an early stage. PhD
candidates should submit their abstracts via EasyChair following the same
criteria as for regular oral and poster presentations, selecting “PhD poster
session” where appropriate. To add value to this experience, we would like to
encourage PhD candidates to provide the names of three experts (together with
their affiliations) who might potentially make a significant contribution to
their PhD projects.

We are happy to announce that Prof. Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk, Vice-Rector
of the School of Languages and Literatures and Head of the PLM Organising
Committee, invites all PhD students of the School of Languages and Literatures
Doctoral School to participate in the poster session for PhD students free of
admission charges. The students’ poster presentations will still undergo the
normal reviewing process.

MORE INFORMATION AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Please visit our webpage for more details.

PLM2021 ORGANISING COMMITTEE
Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk
Jarosław Weckwerth
Bartosz Brzoza