32.776, Calls: Computational Linguistics / Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 3 21:45:26 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-776. Wed Mar 03 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.776, Calls:  Computational Linguistics / Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence (Jrnl)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 16:45:16
From: Robert Krovetz [bob.krovetz at gmail.com]

Full Title: Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Apr-2021

Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and the Guest Editors Robert Krovetz,
John McCrae, Yorick Wilks are curating the Article Collection entitled ''Word
Senses and Multiword Expressions in the Lexicon''.

We welcome your papers to our peer-reviewed Article Collection. Papers can be
original research, reviews, or perspectives, among other article types.

Submission Deadlines:
15 April 2021 Abstract
14 July 2021 Manuscript

More information: http://fron.tiers.in/rt/19034

Call for Papers:

  Word Senses and Multiword Expressions in the Lexicon

The original view of the lexicon is that it was ''a repository of
exceptions''. The modern view is that the lexicon has a rich structure. Word
senses and Multiword Expressions (MWEs) are two areas at the cutting edge of
work on this structure.

There are several things in common between Word senses and MWEs:
- The target for learning is only partially understood.
- Recognizing them helps to reduce ambiguity.
- They are important for natural language processing that occurs further
upstream.
- Both areas became more active and a subject for evaluation about twenty
years ago.

The Research Topic aims to make a greater connection between theory and
empirical work in the areas of word senses and multiword expressions. The key
is exploring and explicating the links between (i) theoretical work in these
areas, (ii) empirical evaluation of that work, and (iii) the relationship to
linguistic and computational practice. In particular, consider work on
Pustejovsky’s Generative Lexicon, and Hanks’ work on norms and exploitations,
as well as potential connections between these areas and work on neural
networks.

The Article Collection will solicit papers on the following topics and
questions:
- Using MWEs and word senses in NLP tasks (e.g., parsing, translation,
question answering)
- Representing semantic properties of MWEs and word senses
- Methods for representing variation in form
- Combining information from different lexicons
- How often do we have a norm vs. exploitation for word senses and for MWEs?
- How much variance is there between different senses in the accuracy of
disambiguation?
- How can we deal with machine learning for MWEs and word senses when the
target for classification is only partially understood?
- What are some of the commonalities and some of the differences in research
on these topics?
- How should we evaluate more complex approaches such as the Generative
Lexicon?

The Research Topic will focus on word senses and MWEs, but we also welcome
papers about the evaluation of other aspects of the lexicon, e.g.,
subcategorization, sentiment lexicons, and semantic role labeling. The
expected audience would be people who contribute to Semeval, LREC, and the
workshops on MWEs.