32.1042, Jobs: English; Sociolinguistics: Lecturer, Queen Mary University of London

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 22 18:34:51 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1042. Mon Mar 22 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1042, Jobs: English; Sociolinguistics: Lecturer, Queen Mary University of London

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 14:34:08
From: Hazel Tsoi-Wiles [sllf-finance at qmul.ac.uk]
Subject: English; Sociolinguistics: Lecturer, Queen Mary University of London, UK

University or Organization: Queen Mary University of London
Department: School of Languages, Linguistics and Film
Job Location: London, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/sllf/
Job Title: Lecturer in Sociolinguistics
Job Rank: Lecturer

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

About the Role :
The School of Languages, Linguistics and Film is looking to appoint a
fixed-term Lecturer in Sociolinguistics (Teaching and Scholarship), within the
Department of Linguistics. This is a fixed term post for 12 months from 1
September 2021 to 31 August 2022 to cover staff absence.

The department is internationally renowned and a prestigious hub within the
field of Sociolinguistics. You will be part of the sociolinguistics group, and
will contribute to the delivery of high-quality teaching, assessment, and
supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate (taught) students. You will
contribute to the life of the Department and the School more widely, for
instance by participating in relevant postgraduate reading groups and
seminars, and by undertaking appropriate administrative and advisory duties.
You will be expected to teach English in Use (Level 4), Sociolinguistics
Variation and Change (Level 5), Language and Ethnicity (Level 5), and other
teaching in quantitative and/or qualitative sociolinguistics or general
linguistics as appropriate to the lecturer’s training. You will be expected to
participate in the supervision of both BA and MA dissertations.

The post is available as a Teaching and Scholarship contract, and therefore
does not include a research element.

About You:
You will hold a PhD or have a relevant professional qualification or
equivalent professional experience, together with the ability to deliver
teaching and assessment at undergraduate and postgraduate level. The ability
to work constructively and flexibly with colleagues, good organisational and
communicative skills are also essential.

About the School:
The School is looking to appoint a Lecturer in Sociolinguistics and further
details about the School can be found at www.qmul.ac.uk/sllf.

About Queen Mary:
At Queen Mary University of London, we believe that diversity of ideas helps
us achieve the previously unthinkable.

Throughout our history, we’ve fostered social justice and improved lives
through academic excellence. And we continue to live and breathe this spirit
today, not because it’s simply ‘the right thing to do’ but for what it helps
us achieve and the intellectual brilliance it delivers.

We continue to embrace diversity of thought and opinion in everything we do,
in the belief that when views collide, disciplines interact, and perspectives
intersect, truly original thought takes form.

Benefits:
We offer competitive salaries, access to a generous pension scheme, 30 days’
leave per annum, a season ticket loan scheme and access to personal and
professional¿development opportunities. In addition, we¿offer a range of
work-life balance and family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible
working arrangements, and campus facilities including an on-site nursery at
the Mile End campus.

The post is a full time, fixed-term appointment with expected start date of 1
September 2021. Starting salary will be Grade 5, £42,433 per annum, inclusive
of London Allowance.

Queen Mary’s commitment to our diverse and inclusive community is embedded in
our appointments processes. Reasonable adjustments will be made at each stage
of the recruitment process for candidates with a disability. We are open to
considering applications from candidates wishing to work flexibly.

Informal enquiries should be addressed to Professor Hagit Borer
h.borer at qmul.ac.uk, quoting job ref. QMUL24390

The closing date for applications is 18 April 2021

Apply online via the application link provided below.

Application Deadline: 18-Apr-2021

Web Address for Applications: https://webapps2.is.qmul.ac.uk/jobs/job.action?jobRef=QMUL24390
Contact Information:
	Ms Hazel Tsoi-Wiles