32.1564, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics: Senior Lecturer, Aston University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 6 16:51:51 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1564. Thu May 06 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1564, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics: Senior Lecturer, Aston University

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 12:50:52
From: Prof Joanna Lumsden [j.lumsden at aston.ac.uk]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics: Senior Lecturer, Aston University, Birmingham, UK

University or Organization: Aston University
Department: Computer Science and Aston Institute for Forensic Linguistics
Job Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.aston.ac.uk/research/forensic-linguistics
Job Title: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Computer Science
Job Rank: Senior Lecturer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics

Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Computer Science
Informatics & Digital Engineering

Location: Aston University Main Campus
Salary: £41,526 to £59,135 per annum
Grade 9 or 10
Contract Type: Continuing
Basis: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Friday 04 June 2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Reference: R210144

We are seeking to appoint a Senior Lecturer/Lecturer in Computer Science, with
particular preference for individuals with a research focus in natural
language processing (NLP) and machine learning, ideally with application to
authorship analysis in a forensic context and/or large textual database
management solutions.

In Computer Science we deliver distinctive programmes at undergraduate and
postgraduate levels that achieve some of the highest employability rates for
CS graduates in the UK. We value impactful research and our expertise includes
AI, robotics, machine learning, natural language processing, HCI, computing
education, digital health, software engineering, and cyber security, often
spanning discipline boundaries.  This appointment will see cross-disciplinary
collaboration between Computer Science and the Aston Institute for Forensic
Linguistics (AIFL – https://www.aston.ac.uk/research/forensic-linguistics),
the mission of which is to improve delivery of justice through the analysis of
language.

This is a particularly exciting time to join Computer Science at Aston.  As we
grow, we have just established programmes in the areas of cyber security and
AI, we are expanding our collaborative research activities, especially with
businesses, and we are a leading member of the national Institute of Coding.

You will have a PhD in Computer Science or a related discipline. We are
particularly interested in candidates with experience in natural language
processing (NLP) and machine learning techniques, ideally focused on forensic
linguistics.

Your teaching duties may include contributions to theory and practice-based
modules at undergraduate and Masters levels, for both conventional on-campus
and degree apprenticeship programmes. You will also be expected to make
significant contributions to our research, including the attraction of PhD
students and external research funding.

For further information, please contact the Head of Department, Prof Joanna
Lumsden on +44 (0)121 204 3470 or j.lumsden at aston.ac.uk OR, if enquiring
specifically about forensic linguistics, Director of the Aston Institute for
Forensic Linguistics, Prof Tim Grant on +44 (0)121 204 3799 or
t.d.grant at aston.ac.uk.

We would particularly like to encourage applications from those returning to
research after a period of absence and women seeking to progress their
academic careers. Aston University is committed to the principles of the
Athena SWAN Charter, recognised recently by a prestigious Silver Award to EAS,
and we pride ourselves on our vibrant, friendly and supportive working
environment and family atmosphere.

Please note: Redeployees will be given priority consideration for vacancies.

Application Deadline: 04-Jun-2021

Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.aston.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=R210144
Contact Information:
	Prof Joanna Lumsden