32.3642, Calls: German; Historical Ling, Lang Acquisition, Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Gen Ling/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 19 06:07:01 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3642. Fri Nov 19 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3642, Calls: German; Historical Ling, Lang Acquisition, Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Gen Ling/USA

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 01:04:40
From: Sophia Strietholt [strietholt at wisc.edu]
Subject: Mind & Memory in Germanic Studies

Full Title: Mind & Memory in Germanic Studies
Short Title: GDGSA

Date: 25-Feb-2022 - 26-Feb-2022
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Contact Person: Sophia Strietholt
Meeting Email: strietholt at wisc.edu
Web Site: https://gdgsaconference.german.wisc.edu/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Subject Language(s): German (deu)

Call Deadline: 15-Jan-2022

Meeting Description:

The 22nd Annual Conference of the German and Dutch Graduate Student
Association at the University of Wisconsin-Madison presents:

Mind & Memory in Germanic Studies

Keynote Speaker: Nick Henry, University of Texas at Austin
Workshop: Sunny Yudkoff, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Call for Papers:

“When you change your language, you change your thoughts.” - Karl Albrecht

Acquiring another language can inspire both learners and teachers to reflect
on the changes that they undergo during the learning process. In recent years,
researchers have wrestled with how language affects the way we think and how
it impacts the way we understand the world. Furthermore, the role our own
memories play in creating our reality and informing the way we interpret
literature warrants further study.

This conference seeks to shed light on how our experiences interacting with
the Germanic world can impact us. We are seeking papers that explore how the
mind interacts with language, can adapt to various language environments, and
how the mind shapes and can reframe culture in historical contexts. These
shifts are further documented in the production of literature, such as through
memoirs.

Our virtual conference welcomes contributions from diverse fields that may,
but are not required to, touch on the following questions and keywords:

Literature/Cultural Studies:
- How are cultural memory and cultural identity manifested through
representations of the mind?
- How does survivor memory inform future generations?
- What is the impact of neurodiversity on textual representations and memory
studies?
- How can memorialization in the form of museums and memorials affect the way
we view the past?

Linguistics/SLA:
- How is language stored and processed in the brain?
- What are learner perceptions of oral and written language use?
- How does identity interact with language learning?
- How do the identities of bi- and multilingual language learners, as well as
heritage learners, play a role in language learning?

Abstracts for single- or multi-authored 20-minute presentations should be no
more than 300 words and are due by January 15, 2022. Submissions in both
English and German are welcome. Abstracts should not include the presenter’s
name. Please include the following as a separate attachment: name, title of
paper, department and university affiliation, and email address. Please submit
your abstracts to the GDGSA Conference Committee at
gdgsaconferenceuw at gmail.com. For further details on the conference, keynote
speaker, and/or accessibility needs, please see our website:
https://gdgsaconference.german.wisc.edu/