32.3716, FYI: Building language learners’ and teachers’ self-efficacy beliefs: Research, reflection and practice

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 30 02:36:41 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3716. Mon Nov 29 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3716, FYI: Building language learners’ and teachers’ self-efficacy beliefs: Research, reflection and practice

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:34:48
From: Farahnaz Faez [ffaez at uwo.ca]

Building language learners’ and teachers’ self-efficacy beliefs: Research,
reflection and practice
Mark Wyatt and Farahnaz Faez

We have been invited to submit a book proposal for an edited volume on
language learners’ and teachers’ self-efficacy beliefs by a major publisher.

Self-efficacy beliefs, i.e. can-do beliefs in one’s abilities to fulfil
specific valued tasks in particular domains and contexts, have been the
subject of much research in the last 20 years, in both language learning and
language teaching. This research interest reflects the importance of these
beliefs in shaping behavior and influencing outcomes.

Much of the research to date has appeared in journals, with treatment in book
form rare. We feel it is time for an edited volume that both consolidates
recent developments in the field, drawing on work from different national
contexts, and points towards the future. We are particularly interested in how
transformative change can be effected in the language self-efficacy (LSE)
beliefs of learners and teachers.

The proposed edited volume focuses on areas such as the following:
- Methodological considerations in researching LSE beliefs (using
quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods designs)
- LSE beliefs and related psychological constructs (e.g. self-esteem,
self-concept, self-determination)
- LSE beliefs in language learning (e.g. development in language learning
strategies, skills relating to reading, writing, listening and speaking,
knowledge areas such as grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary)
- LSE beliefs and language proficiency (and issues such as the legitimization
of world Englishes, the valuing of bilingualism, social justice for
marginalized groups, and the focus in teacher preparation courses on the
language needed for teaching rather than global linguistic competence)

- LSE beliefs and language teaching (in pre- and in-service contexts,
considering teachers’ context-specific concerns and challenges, sometimes in
difficult circumstances, and educational innovation)

- LSE beliefs, reflective practice, knowledge growth, cognitive change and
mentoring
- LSE beliefs and practitioner research (e.g. action research, exploratory
practice)
- LSE beliefs in adapting to a rapidly changing world (e.g. in using
technology)

If interested in contributing a chapter to the book, we would like to invite
you to submit an abstract of 300-500 words, together with a short list of
references. You would be welcome to focus on any of the above themes. Chapters
may include primary data, but this is not a requirement. Reflective accounts
would be welcome, as would syntheses of the literature in a particular area or
context. We would like the volume to be forward-looking, so implications for
research and pedagogy should be emphasized.

Please contact mark.wyatt at ku.ac.ae or ffaez at uwo.ca if you have any questions.
Please submit your 300-500 word abstract to us by email. The deadline is 10
January 2022.

Thank you

Subject Language(s): English (eng)