32.3717, FYI: Family Language Policies among Quebec-based Parents Raising Multilingual Infants and Toddlers

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 30 06:55:58 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3717. Tue Nov 30 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3717, FYI: Family Language Policies among Quebec-based Parents Raising Multilingual Infants and Toddlers

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 01:55:30
From: Ruth Kircher [rkircher at fryske-akademy.nl]

Date: Wednesday 8, December 2021

Time: 10-11h ET / 16-17h CET

Speakers: Alexa Ahooja (McGill), Susan Ballinger (McGill), Krista
Byers-Heinlein (Concordia), Ruth Kircher (Mercator/Fryske Akademy), Nicola
Phillips (McGill), and Erin Quirk (Concordia)

Abstract: In addition to the French-speaking majority, the Canadian province
of Quebec is home to a sizeable English-speaking minority community along with
a multitude of heritage language speakers. Many parents in Quebec raise their
children multilingually. In this webinar, we introduce the Quebec context and
present findings from two related studies of family language policy – i.e.,
language beliefs, language practices, and language management – among
Quebec-based parents raising infants/toddlers aged 0-4 years with multiple
languages in the home. In study 1, we used interviews and focus groups to
gather qualitative data from 27 parents in Quebec’s urban centre, Montreal; in
study 2, we used a questionnaire (developed based on the findings from study
1) to elicit quantitative as well as qualitative data from more than 800
parents across the entire province. The discussion will shed light on some of
the key factors involved in determining and upholding family language policies
in multilingual families.

All are invited to this zoom event. Attendance is free but registration is
required: https://bit.ly/TESOL_FLP_Webinar2021

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics