32.3135, Fund Drive Lottery Week 3

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 5 03:14:43 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3135. Mon Oct 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3135, Fund Drive Lottery Week 3

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 23:14:04
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Fund Drive Lottery Week 3

Week 3 of the annual LINGUIST List Fund Drive Lottery!

This year, our supporting publishers have been extraordinarily generous and
are offering up more prizes than ever before. Last week alone we gave away 8
prizes of journal subscriptions and books. This week we are coming at you with
even more to give away.

To enter into this week’s drawing, donate to our fund drive sometime between
now and Friday, October 8. Prizes change each week so check back every week to
see what’s up for grabs.

**One donation = one entry into the drawing. To donate, click this link:
https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/**

THIS WEEK'S PRIZES:

>From Cambridge University Press:

Jones -- Viral Discourse
(https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/applied-
linguistics-and-second-language-acquisition/viral-discourse?format=PB)

discourse analysts in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Each piece focuses
on a different aspect of the pandemic, from the debate over wearing face masks
to the metaphors used by politicians and journalists in different countries to
talk about the virus. Each of the pieces also makes use of a different
approach to analysing discourse (e.g. Critical Discourse Analysis, Genre
Analysis, Corpus Assisted Discourse Analysis) and demonstrates how that
approach can be applied to a small set of data. The aim of the Element is to
show how the range of tools available to discourse analysts can be brought to
bear on a pressing, 'real-world' problem, and how discourse analysis can
contribute to formulating 'real-world' solutions to the problem.

McIntosh, Mendoza-Denton -- Language in the Trump Era
(https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/sociolin
guistics/language-trump-era-scandals-and-emergencies?format=PB

have the best words', yet despite these assurances his speech style has sown
conflict even as it has powered his meteoric rise. If the Trump era feels like
a political crisis to many, it is also a linguistic one. Trump has repeatedly
alarmed people around the world, while exciting his fan-base with his
unprecedented rhetorical style, shock-tweeting, and weaponized words. Using
many detailed examples, this fascinating and highly topical book reveals how
Trump's rallying cries, boasts, accusations, and mockery enlist many of his
supporters into his alternate reality. From Trump's relationship to the truth,
to his use of gesture, to the anti-immigrant tenor of his language, it
illuminates the less obvious mechanisms by which language in the Trump era has
widened divisions along lines of class, gender, race, international relations,
and even the sense of truth itself.

Sandoval, Denham -- Thinking like a Linguist
(https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/english-
language-and-linguistics-general-interest/thinking-linguist-introduction-scien
ce-language?format=PB)

undergraduate or beginning graduate students, aimed especially at those who
would like to continue further linguistic study. It introduces students to
analytical thinking about language, but goes beyond existing texts to show
what it means to think like a scientist about language, through the
exploration of data and interactive problem sets. A key feature of this text
is its flexibility. With its focus on foundational areas of linguistics and
scientific analysis, it can be used in a variety of course types, with
instructors using it alongside other information or texts as appropriate for
their own courses of study. The text can also serve as a supplementary text in
other related fields (Speech and Hearing Sciences, Psychology, Education,
Computer Science, Anthropology, and others) to help learners in these areas
better understand how linguists think about and work with language data. No
prerequisites are necessary. While each chapter often references content from
the others, the three central chapters on sound, structure, and meaning, may
be used in any order.

>From Wiley:

The Handbook of Psycholinguistics by Eva M. Fernández (Editor), Helen Smith
Cairns (Editor) - 978-1-119-09652-8

The giveaways have only just begun! We have many more exciting offers coming
your way this Fund Drive. Our supporting publishers share our vision and aim
to bring linguists around the world together via the LINGUIST List.

We thank you for letting us be a part of your life and for your continued
support! Every dollar donated is deeply appreciated.

With gratitude,

– Your LINGUIST List team