32.3149, Books: Processing verb clusters: Bloem

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 6 01:44:29 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3149. Tue Oct 05 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3149, Books: Processing verb clusters: Bloem

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Billy Dickson <billyd at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 21:44:03
From: Janacy van Duijn Genet [lot at uva.nl]
Subject: Processing verb clusters: Bloem

Title: Processing verb clusters
Series Title: LOT Dissertation Series

Publication Year: 2021
Publisher: Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke (LOT)
	   http://www.lotpublications.nl/

Book URL: https://www.lotpublications.nl/processing-verb-clusters

Author: Jelke Bloem

Paperback: ISBN:  9789460933714 Pages: 293 Price: Europe EURO 35

Abstract:

In theory, linguists' lives are becoming easier due to the increasing
availability of digital texts that can serve as data for linguistic research.
The internet is full of language data and its volume is increasing at a faster
rate than any linguist could keep up with. Yet this data is only used to a
limited extent, because it is not always clear how we can find, among this sea
of data, the utterances and constructions that are of particular interest to
us linguists. When we do try to do this, it results in such a large amount of
data that any further processing will have to be automatic, using models that
can generalize over large volumes of data.

This dissertation describes the word order variation that exists in Dutch
two-verb clusters, such as gezien hebben ‘seen have’ or hebben gezien ‘have
seen’ by applying quantitative research methods to larger text collections.
The results show that the processing complexity of the utterance plays an
important role in the choice between these two word orders. The dissertation
consists of eight articles covering historical and synchronic aspects of verb
cluster order variation, with a focus on new, computational research methods
that can be applied to the problem. Chapters two, three and six mainly concern
the use of digital tools for linguistic research, while the chapters four,
five, seven, eight and nine apply such tools to research questions concerning
verb cluster variation.

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Dutch (nld)

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=156653