32.3152, Fun Fact: Early Websites

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 6 04:24:22 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3152. Wed Oct 06 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3152, Fun Fact: Early Websites

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Nils Hjortnaes <nils at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 00:21:41
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Fun Fact: Early Websites

 Hi all!

Nils here with another fun fact. Did you know that the Linguist List is over
30 years old? While our old website wasn’t created until about 1997, the first
post over the initial mailing list was sent in December, 1990, and because we
archive everything, you can still read it here (https://linguistlist.org/issues/1/1-0/)!
This was before browsers were even available to the general public, let alone
HTML, which is what we still use for web pages today.

As a related fun fact, the very first website ever is still up too! It was
created by CERN and they have since recreated it. You can find it here.
http://info.cern.ch/

Websites obviously exploded in the 90s, and we quickly joined the fun around
1997. Of those, most of them have been shut down since, but we have remained
all this time! We're always making improvements, and we're still working on
our newest iteration of the website.

Of course, all of this is only possible due to the generosity of our readers.
Donations help us to pay for the servers we use, all the services we provide,
and, of course, our wonderful editors who make sure that all content is
curated, formatted, and that absolutely no spam gets through to you, our
readers. To learn more, please visit our Fund Drive page (https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/)
to learn more about us and why we need your help! The LINGUIST List relies
on your generous donations to continue its support of linguists around the world.

Thank you,

Nils Hjortnaes