32.3162, Staff Letter: Lauren Perkins

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 6 19:25:45 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3162. Wed Oct 06 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3162, Staff Letter: Lauren Perkins

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 15:24:07
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Lauren Perkins

 Hello, fellow linguists!

My name is Lauren Perkins, and I recently took over as the Managing Editor,
Careers Editor, and Social Media Lead. I review and post job ads and notices
of opportunities for student support and internships. I’m also responsible for
helping to manage our social media presence, as well as ensuring that our
internal processes run smoothly. I wear a lot of hats, but I really enjoy
helping people find opportunities to further their linguistic careers! Getting
to interact with fellow linguists from around the world via email is always a
plus as well.

I’ve worked with LINGUIST List since January of 2020, having previously served
as Calls & Conferences Editor. I’m beginning my third year in the General
Linguistics PhD program here at Indiana University. Currently, I’m interested
in syntax, psycholinguistics, and construction grammar. Of particular interest
are ways that we can connect current syntactic theory with developments in
neuro- and psycholinguistics and cognitive science, hopefully providing a
bridge between the theoretical and the functional. I’m also really enjoying my
Field Methods class this semester, where we are working with a native speaker
of Lutuv, a Tibeto-Burman language.

In my spare time, I love spending time with my husband, Sam, and our cat, B.
We like relaxing at home and drinking tea, or having friends over for game
nights. I also enjoy kickboxing, practicing calligraphy and embroidery, and
reading novels.

I’m extremely thankful for my job at the LINGUIST List, and thankful for
donors like you that make it possible. Not only does working at the LINGUIST
List provide a fascinating insight into current opportunities in linguistics,
as well as flexible hours (imperative for a graduate school schedule), but it
also provides me with enormous financial peace of mind. Graduate school here
in the US is quite expensive, and I would definitely not be able to achieve my
dream of becoming a professional linguist without the tuition remission that
my work at the LINGUIST List provides me with. My work at LINGUIST List was a
particular silver lining during the months of quarantine, as I was able to
continue my work remotely and thus also continue taking remote classes.
Despite the events of 2020, I am still on-track to finish my program on time.
The ability to continue working despite a global pandemic is a privilege I
don’t take lightly, and I am very grateful to all of you who made that
possible through your generosity.

So, a huge thank you to all of our donors, particularly those who have
supported us year after year. You are our silver lining, both because you’ve
supported us through this crisis and because you continue to inspire us with
your tenacity and dedication to continue your work despite everything. We look
forward to continuing to support you for many more years! If you enjoy the
resources the LINGUIST List offers and are financially able, please consider
donating to this year’s Fund Drive. Thanks so much for taking the time to read
my story, and I look forward to connecting with you via email the next time
you submit a job, support, or internship, or over social media!

Disclaimer:
The Indiana University Foundation solicits tax-deductible private
contributions for the benefit of Indiana University and is registered to
solicit charitable contributions in all states requiring registration. For our
full disclosure statement, see  go.iu.edu/29UK.

By providing your email address on the crowdfunding campaign website, you are
opting in to receive emails from Indiana University. If you do not wish to
receive emails from Indiana University please make a note in the comment field
of the form.