32.3190, Challenge Update: Week 4

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 11 18:44:55 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3190. Mon Oct 11 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3190, Challenge Update: Week 4

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 14:44:43
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Challenge Update: Week 4

Dear all,

We have passed 25% of our fund drive goal! The $10,171 we have collected will
cover one semester of stipend and health insurance for one of our student
editors.

The fund drive has visibly slowed down this week. But this is not the time to
give up hope, not the time to lose heart. LINGUIST List has remained fully
operational through the lockdown and financial cuts of the last year and a
half. If you want that we continue sending your daily portion of linguistic
news, remind you of your conferences and bring you your next job opportunity,
please support us. You step up to keep the international community informed,
you create this community, and it’s your turn to act. You can donate here, any
amount is appreciated:

The first place in the discipline challenge remains with syntax and—like last
week—sociolinguistics takes the second place. Pragmatics has won narrow lead
over applied linguistics but the difference is minimal and next week may bring
some surprises!
In the University challenge, the University of South Carolina is still leading
both in terms of the combined amount of the donation but also in the number of
donors. Cheers to the University of South Carolina! The second biggest
donation comes from the Temple University of Japan. Humblest thanks go to this
one donor who brought the Temple University to the second place in the
University challenge. Arizona State University takes the third place and seven
more universities shared the fourth position in the challenge. In the country
challenge, the biggest number of donors comes from the USA, followed by the
number of donors in the UK and Germany. Canada is on the fourth place with
seven donors. If you are interested to see the updates and follow our drive,
the updated numbers are here:

The full list of donors can be seen here:
https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/supporters/

Thank you linguistics.

Your LINGUIST List crew