32.3286, FYI: Many Speech Analyses Project

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 19 11:02:39 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3286. Tue Oct 19 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3286, FYI: Many Speech Analyses Project

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 06:53:29
From: Joseph Casillas [joseph.casillas at rutgers.edu]
Subject: Many Speech Analyses Project

Dear Colleagues,

The Many Speech Analyses project (coordinated by Stefano Coretta, Joseph
Casillas, Timo Roettger) is looking for speech researchers to independently
analyze the same data set in order to answer the same research question. You
can participate as a solo analyst or form a team of researchers. Each
analyst/analysis team will then serve as reviewers who will critically assess
the analyses of the other teams.

The big picture
As speech scientists, we know very well that there are often many possible
analytic strategies that could be used on one and the same dataset. This is
true not only for statistical analysis but also for the measurement itself.
Comparing the acoustic signal of two utterances allows thousands of different
analytic paths. What acoustic parameter do we measure? How do we measure it?
In what part of the utterance do we measure it? The main objective of this
project is to study the possible phonetic correlates of typicality in referent
expressions by crowd-sourcing the analysis of a data set to improve the
robustness and generalizability of the study outcomes.

What is in it for you?
If you agree on analyzing the data according to our guidelines and review four
analyses of our analysts within an agreed time frame, you will become
co-author of our paper. The good news is, the paper is already in-principle
accepted to be published. This multi-analyst study has been accepted as a
Registered Report at Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological
Science (https://journals.sagepub.com/home/amp). A Registered Report is a
publishing format that emphasizes the importance of the research question and
the quality of methodology by conducting peer review prior to data collection.
High quality protocols are then provisionally accepted for publication if the
authors follow through with the registered methodology. Concretely, this means
that publication of the results of this study are in principle guaranteed and
your participation (following our instructions) will lead to a guaranteed
co-authorship of a publication in AMPPS. To avoid distorting the final
results, participants will not have access to the Registered Report until
after analyses and reviews are submitted to the project lead. Moreover, you
will be part of an international collaborative effort to understand and
improve the robustness of our scientific discoveries.

For more information about the project, the data set that is going to be
analyzed, our road map and contact information, visit our webpage
(https://many-speech-analyses.github.io/). Use the links provided to either
sign up or get in touch with us.

We are looking forward to crowd-sourcing speech science with you.

All the best,

Stefano, Joseph & Timo

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics