32.3287, Fund Drive Lottery: Week 5

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 19 21:00:24 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3287. Tue Oct 19 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3287, Fund Drive Lottery: Week 5

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:00:17
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Fund Drive Lottery: Week 5

Beloved LINGUIST Listers,

Another week, Another winner! Each and every week during our annual Fund
Drive, we are giving away fantastic prizes, donated by our gracious supporting
publishers, to our donors. This is just a small way for us to show our
gratitude for your continued support! To enter into this week's drawing,
donate to our fund drive sometime between now and Friday, October 22. Prizes
change each week so check back in each week to see what's up for grabs.

One donation = one entry into the drawing. To donate, click this link:

****

Prizes for the week of Oct. 18 - Oct. 22:

>From Cambridge University Press:

Kramsch – Language as Symbolic Power
(https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/applied-
linguistics-and-second-language-acquisition/language-symbolic-power?format=PB)

struggles underlie any speech act, discourse move, or verbal interaction, be
it in face-to-face conversations, online tweets or political debates. This
book provides a clear and accessible introduction to the topic of language and
power from an applied linguistics perspective. It is clearly split into three
sections: the power of symbolic representation, the power of symbolic action
and the power to create symbolic reality. It draws upon a wide range of
existing work by philosophers, sociolinguists, sociologists and applied
linguists, and includes current real-world examples, to provide a fresh
insight into a topic that is of particular significance and interest in the
current political climate and in our increasingly digital age. The book shows
the workings of language as symbolic power in educational, social, cultural
and political settings and discusses ways to respond to and even resist
symbolic violence.

Moyer – The Gifted Language Learner
(https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/applied-
linguistics-and-second-language-acquisition/gifted-language-learner-case-natur
e-or-nurture?format=PB)

reach native-like abilities in their new language, yet some do. Are these
individuals uniquely gifted? If so, are such gifts innate, or the result of
intense drive, optimal experience, opportunity, or something else altogether?
Bringing together theory and empirical work from across disciplines, this
ground-breaking book aims to better understand the perennial mystery of
giftedness in language learning (GLL). Incorporating quantitative,
qualitative, and case study data, this analysis demonstrates the need to reach
across cognitive, neural, emotional, psychological, and social lines to
understand native-likeness in a second language. All such 'outliers' face
limits, potentials, and choices. What they do in the face of these is key.
With this complexity in mind, specific recommendations are provided to
re-orient the research toward an appreciation of the individual's role, and a
clearer understanding of the inherent balance of nature and nurture in GLL.

>From Wiley:

The Handbook of Dialectology by Charles Boberg (Editor), John Nerbonne
(Editor), Dominic Watt (Editor) - 978-1-119-36124-4

The Concise Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics by Carol Chapelle -
978-1-119-14736-7

****

If you would like to win one of these prizes, please consider donating to our
fund drive. Without donations from our users, LINGUIST List will simply be
unable to continue to unite our discipline by facilitating the compilation and
dissemination of linguistically-relevant books, journals, reviews, job
postings, and conference posting, just to name of few of our numerous services
you rely upon. Every little bit helps!

There will be many more great prizes from our supporting publishers in the
coming week, so stay tuned to our social media pages to hear about more prizes
that you can win. Thanks and good luck!

With gratitude,

- Your LINGUIST List team