32.3372, Staff Letter: Joshua Sims

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 28 03:53:37 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3372. Wed Oct 27 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3372, Staff Letter: Joshua Sims

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 23:53:01
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Joshua Sims

Hello, Linguist List Readers!

I'm Joshua Sims, the systems administrator at the Linguist List. I do the
behind-the-scenes work to keep our website running smoothly, both for our
editors and for our readers.

I also maintain the Easy Abstracts service at the Linguist List. If you are
organizing a conference and need a free, easy to use service to handle
abstract submissions and reviews, use EasyAbs! Give it a try at
https://old.linguistlist.org/confservices/EasyAbs/index.cfm.

Like all my colleagues at the Linguist List, I am a student at Indiana
University. I'm working on a dual PhD in Linguistics and Central Eurasian
Studies. My primary focus is Mongolian phonology, especially with regards to
ATR vowel harmony and palatalization. I'm also part of a field methods course
working on Lutuv, a member of the Maraic sub-branch of the Tibeto-Burman
family.

On my own time, I enjoy studying languages (most recently, Mandarin and
Esperanto), practicing Mongolian Calligraphy, reading Science Fiction &
Fantasy, and capitalizing words that don't need to be capitalized.

I have greatly enjoyed working at the Linguist List during my studies here. In
my work as systems administrator, I get to see submissions and postings from
all the topics we handle at the Linguist List. It makes me so happy to see
announcements for books, conferences, journals and jobs, for all subfields of
linguistics and all for fascinating languages. I still remember, as a
sophomore studying linguistics, being told about the Linguist List, as a great
place to find linguistics resources and jobs in the future. And now I work
here—it's kind of like being famous!

Your support for the Linguist List makes it possible for me to study here. I
wouldn't be able to pursue my degree without my position at the Linguist List.
When you donate to the Linguist List, you're supporting a free and open forum
for linguistic ideas and opportunities. At the same time, you're also
supporting a team of hard-working student linguists, so we can continue with
our studies until we get to apply to these jobs ourselves someday.

Thank you for your donations and continued readership, and for keeping us
together, editors and readers, year after year, at the Linguist List. If you
haven't donated yet, please do so at
https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/, and if you have—thanks!