32.2984, The Linguist List’s 2021 Fund Drive

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 21 01:16:40 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2984. Mon Sep 20 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2984, The Linguist List’s 2021 Fund Drive

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:15:18
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: The Linguist List’s 2021 Fund Drive

Dear linguists and language enthusiasts,

A year has passed since our previous Fund Drive. In September 2020 we probably
did not yet fully understand that the normalcy would not come back that
quickly. A year later it is becoming clear that whatever normalcy we would
eventually come back to, it might not be the same normalcy we left off more
than a year and a half ago.

It’s been a trying time for all of us. This is also a moment when we should
acknowledge and honor human ingenuity, selflessness, perseverance – and not
only of the doctors and nurses. We all had to completely re-learn our daily
routines, figure out how to go on with life under the constraints we had never
imagined, and on a daily basis we make moral choices where previously no moral
questions were involved. Having said that – we now have to look forward. We
are in a moment that is re-defining societies and each of us individually, our
values, goals, and methods. In front of our eyes academia, industry and
science are rapidly evolving. We do not want to abandon the past altogether,
but we also need to incorporate the ad-hoc solutions of the past year which
turned out to work great. We have moved online with our conferences and
teaching and while we probably do not want to live online only, the
opportunity to spontaneously listen to a couple of lectures on the other side
of the globe is exciting. The past year has shown stronger than ever before
that linguists are an online community that spans geographical and ideological
borders, united by the commitment to the discipline of knowledge that we love.
At LINGUIST List we strive to accompany you the best we can in your linguistic
endeavors and help you take advantage of these new opportunities that have
surprisingly emerged.

LINGUIST List is housed at Indiana University and we are extremely grateful to
The College of Arts and Sciences for their support. LINGUIST List’s
operations, however, cost more than the institutional support we receive. At
least three additional editors are supported by the means from advertisements
and your donations. Your donations are particularly important. They give us
independence and are our insurance for bad times. These donations are your
insurance for continued access to wide spectrum of edited information on
linguistic topics. LINGUIST List is probably the only forum of its kind, run
by linguists, professional, carefully edited, free and open to all readers,
global, independent. We have contributors and readers on all continents except
for Antarctica and the past donations came also from all corners of the world.
Please allow us to continue serving you!

As every year, we have prepared a lot of festive content, we will run
competitions and lotteries. Please check our Fund Drive website regularly for
updates https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/  We need to collect at least
$25,000 to secure the operations for the next year. If you can – please
support us with a donation: https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/   Every $5 may
make a difference.

Looking forward,

Malgosia Cavar,

Moderator, The LINGUIST List

LINGUIST List is a part of Indiana University. We collect donations for the
LINGUIST List via Indiana University Foundation. The Indiana University
Foundation solicits tax-deductible private contributions for the benefit of
Indiana University and is registered to solicit charitable contributions in
all states requiring registration. For our full disclosure statement, see
go.iu.edu/29UK.

By providing your email address on the crowdfunding campaign website run by
Indiana University Foundation, you are opting in to receive emails from
Indiana University. If you do not wish to receive emails from Indiana
University please make a note in the comment field of the form.