32.3032, All: Alexandra Vydrina

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 27 17:04:55 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3032. Mon Sep 27 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3032, All: Alexandra Vydrina

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:03:33
From: Dmitry Idiatov [dmitry.idiatov at cnrs.fr]
Subject: Alexandra Vydrina

With deep pain and sadness we mourn the untimely passing of our colleague and
friend, Alexandra (Sasha) Vydrina, who left us on September 16, 2021 at the
age of 33. Since the late 2000s, Sasha had been working on Kakabe, a
previously undescribed and endangered Mande language spoken in Guinea. She has
published a number of articles dealing with Kakabe and other Mande languages.
In 2015, Sasha also published a Kakabe dictionary
(https://journals.openedition.org/mandenkan/370). In 2017, she defended her
thesis at LLACAN / INALCO in Paris on the interaction between tones,
intonation and focus in Kakabe
(https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-03203594). This research had earned
her a thesis award by the Val-de-Marne region. She had since held
post-doctoral positions at LACITO and LPP in Paris and at the Higher School of
Economics in Moscow, and had just obtained a teaching position at the Paris
Nanterre University. Outgoing, cheerful and curious about everything, she
leaves a great void and immense sorrow in all those who knew her.

Our thoughts are with her family and her loved ones.

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics

Language Family(ies): Mande