33.3915, Books: Translation Beyond Translation Studies: Marais (ed.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 19 02:48:21 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3915. Mon Dec 19 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3915, Books: Translation Beyond Translation Studies: Marais (ed.)

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 02:48:12
From: Lian Wilson [Lian.Wilson at bloomsbury.com]

Title: Translation Beyond Translation Studies
Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing (formerly The Continuum International Publishing Group)
	   http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/

Book URL: https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/translation-beyond-translation-studies-9781350192119/

Editor: Kobus Marais

Electronic: ISBN:  9781350192126 Pages: 264 Price: U.K. £ 117.00 Comment: PDF
Electronic: ISBN:  9781350192133 Pages: 264 Price: U.K. £ 117.00 Comment: ePub
Hardback: ISBN:  9781350192119 Pages: 264 Price: U.K. £ 130.00

Abstract:

What is 'translation'? Even as the scholarly viewpoint of translation studies
has expanded over recent years, the notion of 'translation' has remained
fixedly defined by its interlinguistic element. However, there are many
different contexts and disciplines in which translation takes place for which
this definition is entirely unsuitable.

Exploring translational aspects in contexts in which scholars do not think
about 'translation', this book considers the alternative uses of the term
beyond the interlinguistic dimension. Taking our understanding of
'translation' back to its basic semiotic principles, leading experts outline
the wide variety of alternative fields of study, practices, applications and
contexts in which the term 'translation' is used. Chapters examine 11
different fields of study, exploring what the term 'translation' means, how it
is used and what it could contribute to an enlarged understanding of
'translation' as a concept.

In this way, the volume argues for a reimagining of what we mean by
translation, providing an essential reference for anyone interested in how
translation is understood and practiced beyond the narrow perspectives of the
field of translation studies itself.

                     History of Linguistics
                     Philosophy of Language
                     Translation

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=166253

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org