33.15, Support: General Linguistics: PhD, Northumbria University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 5 21:35:22 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-15. Wed Jan 05 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.15, Support: General Linguistics: PhD, Northumbria University

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 16:34:45
From: Phillip Wallage [phillip.wallage at northumbria.ac.uk]
Subject: General Linguistics: PhD, Northumbria University, Newcastle, United Kingdom

 Institution/Organization: Northumbria University
Department: Humanities
Web Address: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/academic-departments/humanities/research/english-research/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

Funded PhD studentships in Linguistics and English Language

Each studentship supports a full stipend, paid for three years at RCUK rates
(for 2021/22 full-time study this is £15,609 per year) and full tuition fees.
We welcome proposals in all areas that speak to the research themes within our
department. We particularly welcome descriptive and empirical projects in, but
not limited to:
 - applied linguistics
 - forensic linguistics
 - language learning and teaching
 - language and cognition
 - discourse analysis and stylistics
 - language variation and change
 - language attitudes
 - pragmatics
 - evolution of communication.

You can find further information about our research groups and staff research
interests here:
https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/academic-departments/humanities/researc
h/english-research/english-language-and-linguistics/

Eligibility and How to Apply: Please note eligibility requirements:

Academic excellence of the proposed student i.e. 2:1 (or equivalent GPA from
non-UK universities [preference for 1st class honours]); or a Masters
(preference for Merit or above); or APEL evidence of substantial practitioner
achievement.
Appropriate IELTS score, if required.

Applicants cannot apply for this funding if currently engaged in Doctoral
study at Northumbria or elsewhere or if they have previously been awarded a
PhD.

For further details of how to apply, entry requirements and the application
form, see:
https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/research/postgraduate-research-degrees/how-to-ap
ply/

Please note: Applications that do not include a research proposal of
approximately 1,000 words, or that do not include the advert reference
RDF22/ADSS/HUMANITIES will not be considered.

Deadline for applications: 18 February 2022

Start Date: 1 October 2022

Northumbria University takes pride in, and values, the quality and diversity
of our staff and students. We welcome applications from all members of the
community.

Funding Notes:
Each studentship supports a full stipend, paid for three years at RCUK rates
(for 2021/22 full-time study this is £15,609 per year) and full tuition fees.
UK and international (including EU) candidates may apply. Studentships are
available for applicants who wish to study on a part-time basis over 5 years
(0.6 FTE, stipend £9,365 per year and full tuition fees) in combination with
work or personal responsibilities. Please also read the full funding notes
which include advice for international and part-time applicants:
https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/research/postgraduate-research-degrees/studentsh
ips/rdf

For further information please contact Dr Phillip Wallage:
phillip.wallage at northumbria.ac.uk

Application Deadline: 18-Feb-2022

Web Address for Applications: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/research/postgraduate-research-degrees/how-to-apply/

Contact Information: