33.17, Support: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; Pragmatics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: PhD, Aston University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 5 21:43:25 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-17. Wed Jan 05 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.17, Support: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; Pragmatics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: PhD, Aston University

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 16:42:57
From: Stefanie Kreibich [forensiclinguistics at aston.ac.uk]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; Pragmatics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: PhD, Aston University, Birmingham, United Kingdom

 Institution/Organization: Aston University
Department: Aston Institute for Forensic Linguistics
Web Address: https://www.aston.ac.uk/research/forensic-linguistics

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; Pragmatics; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Language and Law

The Aston Institute for Forensic Linguistics (AIFL) is inviting applications
for three fully-funded PhD scholarships commencing in September 2022 and
tenable for three years.

Two of the PhD positions are in specific areas of our research detailed below.
The third PhD position is on slightly different terms because of the source of
funding and can be in any area of forensic linguistics/language and law.

The two directed PhD applications will attract the following bursaries:
 - Fees - the bursary will cover three years of standard Aston University UK
or international fees.
 - Stipend - £16,000 to cover accommodation and living costs.
Conference fund of £1,000 pa to attend national or international conferences
at which you will be presenting.

The successful candidates will be offered wide-ranging training opportunities
from AIFL and as part of the Doctoral Training Programme at The Aston Graduate
School.

For the two directed PhDs you need to respond to one of the two research area
outlines below:

1. The Centre for Forensic Text Analysis (CFTA) is working to develop the
theoretical underpinnings of the notion of idiolect, and to inform evidential
and investigative practice in forensic authorship analysis. Our focus is on
agentively construed individual variation in language. We work with very large
and more limited data sets to address questions of both method validation for
court proceedings and method utility in investigative work. We are currently
seeking to explore two authorship attribution scenarios: (1) involving data
from individuals with limited language resources and/or using restricted codes
(in the sense of Bernstein), and (2) involving data from millions of authors
to test the plausibility of linguistically enabled offender identification. We
are also keen to examine the potential of individual pragmatic styles for
authorship analysis purposes.

Applicants interested in any of these themes should contact CFTA Head, Dr
Krzysztof Kredens at k.j.kredens at aston.ac.uk.

2. The Centre for Language and Law (CLL) investigates language and social
justice.  We are currently working on projects to further understanding of:
law and policy relating to regulation of private family life, aspects of the
public family law system, child and adult safeguarding, safeguarding risk
prediction (particularly automated systems), legal protections for vulnerable
groups involved with the justice system, expert evidence, and the potential
for linguistics and AI to contribute to the law.  We welcome applications from
any area of language and law that complements our current work, particularly
in the following areas:
 - Public family law, child protection and safeguarding processes; and
 - Expert evidence in the family courts.

Applicants interested in any of these themes should contact CLL Head Professor
Lauren Devine at l.devine at aston.ac.uk. The successful candidate will be
qualified in law, linguistics or a cognate discipline.

Open PhD applications:
In addition to the two opportunities above we have a third open opportunity to
research a PhD in any area of forensic linguistic/language and law at Aston,
although we will be particularly interested in applications which are
distinctive from the areas described for the two directed PhD studentships.
Only established staff can supervise PhDs, which within AIFL comprises Prof
Tim Grant, Professor Lauren Devine, Dr Krzysztof Kredens, Dr Geoffrey Stewart
Morrison, Dr Tamineh Tayebi, Dr Kate Haworth, and Dr Stephen Parker. Their
research interests can be found on the AIFL pages of Aston Research Explorer.

For informal enquiries about the open PhD application please contact the
individual you would like to become your supervisor or, for more general
enquiries, Professor Tim Grant (t.d.grant at aston.ac.uk).

Web Address for Applications: https://www.aston.ac.uk/bss/bss-business-and-social-sciences-studentships-phd

Contact Information:
	Prof Tim Grant