33.3385, A Day in the Life of a Linguist List Editor

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 2 01:37:20 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3385. Wed Nov 02 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3385, A Day in the Life of a Linguist List Editor

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 01:37:11
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: A Day in the Life of a Linguist List Editor

A day in the life of the LINGUIST List Jobs Editor and Social Media Lead

By Lauren Perkins

If you’ve ever wondered, “Why does the LINGUIST List have Editors? What do
they do all day?” or “Why doesn’t my submission automatically get sent to the
List as soon as I submit it?” Wonder no longer! We’re taking a look behind the
scenes at what a typical day as a Jobs and Social Media editor looks like.

Now that I’m finished with classes for the day, it’s time to start my work for
LINGUIST List! I always start by checking my emails. It looks like someone has
a question about the submission process - I’ll let them know to use the
submission form on our new site. If they have any trouble using the form, I’ll
be glad to help troubleshoot. Someone else wants to mark their job posting as
‘filled’ - excellent! I’m glad we could help them find a qualified linguist to
fill their post. A third person wants to boost their job ad on social media -
great idea! I’ll send them information about our options for boosting social
media posts. Hopefully the boost will give them the greatest possible exposure
- both people who follow LINGUIST List, as well as a broader audience of
people who are interested in linguistics, will be sure to see it.

Now that I’ve answered my emails, I’ll move on to new job ads that have been
submitted in the last 48 hours. I first check to make sure each submission is
from a legitimate employer and is linguistically relevant. Then, I
double-check to make sure that all the provided links work. I read through the
text of the job description to make sure that it’s clear and provides all the
relevant information. If I have any questions, I’ll email the submitter. Once
everything is in order, I post the job ad to LINGUIST List! From there, it is
sent out to our email listserv and also appears online in our searchable
database and on our social media pages.

Once the job is posted, I email the submitter to let them know it is live. I
also provide our Finance team with the necessary details, so they can issue an
invoice.

I’m in charge of not only job postings, but also Supports and Internship
opportunities. Supports are positions for students that result in a degree
(usually, a PhD). The steps for posting these are similar to those for posting
job ads, except that supports and internships are free to post. I make sure
that the submission is legitimate and relevant to our community, that the
information is complete, and all the links work. Our listserv sends out a lot
of information each day, but we really want to make sure that all of it is
relevant and helpful to our community!

I also check our social media accounts - looks like someone has sent us a
Facebook message! I’ll respond and let them know which area of our website is
most relevant to their needs. I’ll also check in on how our current boosted
posts are doing - looks like there is lots of engagement!

That’s all for today, but I’ll be back at it tomorrow! Running LINGUIST List
certainly keeps us busy, but we’re passionate about delivering high quality,
relevant content to our subscribers. We’re thankful for your support - here’s
to many more years of connecting linguists around the world to the information
and resources they need!

As you can see, Editors help the LINGUIST List to run smoothly and ensure that
all posts contain quality content that is relevant to you as a linguist. The
work our editors do is made possible in large part through the support of
readers like you. If you’re able, please consider donating to this year’s Fund
Drive https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/.

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org