33.3410, Calls: Applied Ling, Ling & Literature, Socioling, Disc Analysis, Gen Ling/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 3 05:42:46 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3410. Thu Nov 03 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3410, Calls: Applied Ling, Ling & Literature, Socioling, Disc Analysis, Gen Ling/Poland

Moderators:

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 05:41:57
From: Justyna Leśniewska [justyna.lesniewska at uj.edu.pl]
Subject: April Conference Fifteen: Humanity/Humanities

Full Title: April Conference Fifteen: Humanity/Humanities

Date: 20-Apr-2023 - 22-Apr-2023
Location: Kraków, Poland
Contact Person: April Conference Organizers
Meeting Email: april-conference at uj.edu.pl
Web Site: https://april.confer.uj.edu.pl

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Dec-2022

Meeting Description:

April Conference is a large triennial international conference which has been
organized by the Institute of English Studies at the Jagiellonian University
(Kraków, Poland) since 1978. The Conference is an opportunity to bring
together scholars working in various fields of English and American Studies.
Papers are accepted in the broad fields of British and American Literature,
General and Applied Linguistics, Translation and Cultural Studies, and
Teaching of English as a Foreign Language. For the list of specific panels
planned for the upcoming edition of the conference, see the conference
webpage.

***

When Wilhelm Dilthey published his seminal work in the modern humanities,
Introduction to the Human Sciences (1883), his hopes were to outline the
future methods and objects of study of the Geisteswissenschaften, including
such disciplines as philosophy, philology, politics and literature. By
grouping them and clarifying their mutual relationships, he aimed to shed
light on ‘the most important components of our picture and knowledge of
reality—our own personality as a life-unit, the external world, other
individuals, their temporal life and their interactions.’

Today, as the workings of humanity are increasingly linked with the
destruction wrought by the Anthropocene, ‘the era of man,’ we feel compelled
to re-examine our links with human and other-than-human others ever more
closely. Confronting numerous crises, hostilities and conflicts, as well as
witnessing an unprecedented momentum of social, political, medical,
technological and linguistic change, we are now facing the challenge of
redefining our goals, policies and discourses within the field of the
humanities yet again.

2nd Call for Papers:

APRIL CONFERENCE FIFTEEN: HUMANITY/HUMANITIES
20–22 April 2023
Institute of English Studies
Jagiellonian University in Kraków

We welcome contributions addressing, but not limited to, the following topics:

literary texts in political contexts;
appropriating literary texts in political debates;
narratives of crisis and crisis in the humanities;
imperatives and agendas behind cross-cultural literary translations,
adaptations and appropriations;
workings of memory and trauma;
ethics and the humanities;
humanist perspectives in literary works;
re(evaluation) of political and social discourses;
discourses and communication related to war and conflict;
(re)defining social identities in the age of rapid change;
transgressing interspecies boundaries, including the perspectives of animal
studies, plant humanities and beyond;
humanistic approaches in language education;
whole-person involvement in foreign language learning;
teaching and testing English in the contemporary world;
English in registers and genres of the modern era;
position and perception of English in the 21st century;
English in contact with other languages;
linguistic landscapes and the global use of English;
digital humanities in literary and linguistic studies.

Proposals for twenty-minute papers (ca. 200 words) with short biographical
notes (up to 100 words) should be submitted via the submission portal on the
conference website: https://april.confer.uj.edu.pl by 31 December 2022.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent by 31 January 2023.

We also welcome contributions to the panel sessions listed below. Please
submit your proposals for twenty-minute papers via the submission portal on
our website.

The submission portal will open by the end of October. Should you need the
confirmation of acceptance earlier than 31 January 2023, please contact the
organisers at april-conference at uj.edu.pl.

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org