33.3414, Calls: Philosophy of Language/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 3 06:10:06 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3414. Thu Nov 03 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3414, Calls: Philosophy of Language/Germany

Moderators:

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 06:06:35
From: Julie Goncharov [agencyandintentionsinlanguage at gmail.com]
Subject: Agency and Intentions in Language 3

Full Title: Agency and Intentions in Language 3
Short Title: AIL3

Date: 08-Mar-2023 - 10-Mar-2023
Location: Goettingen, Germany
Contact Person: Julie Goncharov
Meeting Email: julie.goncharov at uni-goettingen.de
Web Site: https://ail-workshop.github.io/AIL3-Workshop/

Linguistic Field(s): Philosophy of Language

Call Deadline: 05-Jan-2023

Meeting Description:

Our sense of agency and ability to distinguish between intentional and
accidental actions are fundamental for social interaction. They allow us to
plan and perform joint actions and assign responsibility for our own actions
and those of others. Research on the nature of agency and intentions has been
very fruitful over the last few decades in philosophy, psychology, and
linguistics. However, interdisciplinary discussion has rarely taken place.

We are delighted to announce the third interdisciplinary workshop on Agency
and Intentions in Language (AIL3). The goal of the workshop is to bring
together scholars in linguistics, philosophy, and psychology interested in
questions related to agency and intentions, broadly construed. Please consider
submitting your work (see Call for Papers), or attending the workshop, to
advance the scholarly understanding of ideas central to multiple academic
disciplines.

AIL3 will take place online via Zoom. Links will be sent to registered
participants and announced here. The workshop sessions will all be live and
not recorded, so please make sure to save the dates to attend.

Invited speakers

 - Alfred Mele (Florida State University)
 - Carlotta Pavese (Cornell University)
 - Heidi Harley (University of Arizona) and Raffaella Folli (Ulster
University)
 - Daniel Skibra (University of Konstanz)

Call for Papers:

On the linguistic side, we welcome submissions examining any grammatical
phenomena sensitive to the degree of agency or interpretation of an action as
intentional versus accidental, such as controller choice, subjunctive
obviation, licensing of polarity items, aspect choice in Slavic, case marking
in ergative split languages and ‘out-of-control’ morphology. Topics of
interest include, but are not restricted to, the following: ways in which
natural languages manifest different degrees of agency or the distinction
between intentional and accidental actions (morphological marking, syntactic
structures, semantic denotations of verbs and adverbials, pragmatic and
contextual differences); connections between agency, intentions, and event
structure; relations between agency, intentions, and causation.

On the side of philosophy, we welcome submissions addressing any aspect
related to philosophy of action, philosophy of mind, the nature of agency,
intentions, and acting intentionally. Both theoretical and empirical research
are welcome as they contribute to debates on various theories of action, free
will, moral responsibility, nature of reasons, and practical rationality.

On the side of psychology, we welcome submissions that deal with agency,
intentions, moral responsibility, and other related topics, broadly construed.
Topics of interest include, but are not restricted to, the following: issues
in developmental psychology, psycholinguistics, clinical psychology (the sense
of agency in individuals with schizophrenia, OCD, etc.), and adults'
perception of agency and responsibility.

Submissions

Anonymous abstracts, not exceeding 2 pages (including references and
examples), with font no less than 11 Times New Roman, and 2 cm margins, should
be uploaded on AIL3 EasyChair site
(https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=ail3). We expect to notify authors
of their acceptance at the end of January 2023. Presentations will be allotted
30 minute slots with 15 minutes for questions and discussion.

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org