33.3578, Support: North American Unclassified; South American Unclassified; Language Documentation : Open, University of Alberta

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 15 22:05:03 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3578. Tue Nov 15 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3578, Support: North American Unclassified; South American Unclassified; Language Documentation : Open, University of Alberta

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

From: Antti Arppe [arppe at ualberta.ca]
Subject: North American Unclassified; South American Unclassified; Language Documentation: Open Student, University of Alberta

Institution/Organization: University of Alberta
Department: Linguistics
Web Address: https://www.ualberta.ca/linguistics/index.html

Level: Open

Duties: Research, Teaching, Project Work

Specialty Areas: Language Documentation; Indigenous Language
Sustainability
Required Language(s): North American Unclassified
                      South American Unclassified

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Alberta, which
celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2019, offers funded MSc and PhD
positions for prospective graduate students interested to learn and
conduct research with our vibrant team of faculty members, graduate
students, and other academics in state-of-the-art research facilities.

* The application deadline is January 15, 2023 *.

In recognition of the Department’s leading position in multiple
sub-areas of linguistics, the University has made significant
investments in departmental support, including six new faculty
members, and new and expanded research laboratories and community
engagement spaces, strengthening the Department’s expertise in the
study of language (see: https://www.ualberta.ca/linguistics/people),
in particular Indigenous languages and their sustainability, including
 - Documentation and fieldwork on languages of Canada, Mexico and the
US, and the Amazon (Arppe, Beck, Huijsmans, Lachler, Rosés Labrada)
 - The first and second language acquisition of North American
Indigenous languages (Lachler)
 - Indigenous language sustainability and revitalization (Huijsmans,
Lachler, Rosés Labrada)
 - Language technology and linguistic software applications for
Indigenous languages (Arppe)
 - Indigenous language lexicography (Beck, Huijsmans, Lachler, Rosés
Labrada)
 - Historical linguistics of the languages of the Americas (Beck,
Rosés Labrada)

Our research labs include the Language Documentation Research Cluster
(http://ldrc.artsrn.ualberta.ca/), which has newly upgraded computing
and audio/video recording equipment for on-site and off-site data
collection and processing, and the Alberta Language Technology Lab
(https://altlab.ualberta.ca/), which is engaged in the development of
computational models and various end-user software applications and
resources for several Indigenous languages spoken in North America. We
also work closely with the Alberta Phonetics Lab
(https://aphl.artsrn.ualberta.ca/) and have access to a number of
sound-treated booths for high-quality audio recording. Additionally,
our students benefit from our close ties with the Canadian Indigenous
Languages and Literacy Development Institute
(https://cilldi.ualberta.ca) and regularly gain experience working as
interns for CILLDI programs.

Accepted graduate students are provided four years of funding for the
PhD and two years of funding for the MSc in the form of TA and RA
stipends. Other support for research and conference travel, attending
and hosting disciplinary events, and obtaining tools for research is
also available. The Department offers cutting-edge training in
statistical techniques and various research methodologies.
Opportunities for within-discipline and cross-disciplinary
collaboration are also available.

For more information on the Department and the graduate admissions
process, please visit our departmental website at:
https://www.ualberta.ca/linguistics, or contact the department’s
Director of Graduate Programs, Dr. Johanne Paradis
(linggrad at ualberta.ca).

Application Deadline: 15-Jan-2023

Web Address for Applications:
https://www.ualberta.ca/linguistics/graduate/admissions.html