33.3136, Jobs: English; Forensic Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Assistant Professor of Linguistics (tenure track), Hofstra University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 14 23:32:48 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3136. Fri Oct 14 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3136, Jobs: English; Forensic Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Assistant Professor of Linguistics (tenure track), Hofstra University

Moderators:

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:32:16
From: Tammy Gales [tammy.a.gales at hofstra.edu]
Subject: English; Forensic Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Assistant Professor of Linguistics (tenure track), Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY, USA

University or Organization: Hofstra University
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: https://www.hofstra.edu/linguistics/
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Linguistics (tenure track)
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Forensic Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Linguistics Program at Hofstra University invites applications for a
full-time tenure track Assistant Professor position beginning September 1,
2023. We offer an undergraduate major and minor in Linguistics, a dual-degree
BA-MA in Linguistics: Forensic Linguistics, and a graduate MA in Linguistics:
Forensic Linguistics. The successful applicant will teach courses in all
programs.

We are seeking candidates who can teach a variety of existing courses such as
forensic linguistic foundations, language and the law, semantics and
pragmatics, sociolinguistics, dialectology, phonetics and phonology,
morphology and syntax, corpus linguistics, cybersecurity, field methods, and
discourse analysis. Candidates should be able to integrate forensic linguistic
elements into all courses they teach. The successful candidate is also
expected to develop their own forensic linguistic courses beyond what is
currently offered.

Hofstra is also home to the Forensic Linguistics Innocence Project and the
Institute for Forensic Linguistics, where students are able to participate in
research and analysis of live, ongoing criminal and civil cases. The
successful candidate will be expected to supervise student capstone projects
and internships.

Additional responsibilities include maintaining an active publication record
and regularly participating on university committees and in administrative
duties such as student recruitment, advisement, and planning each term.

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is an equal opportunity employer
committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and
student body. We strongly encourage applicants from historically
underrepresented identities to apply. We especially encourage women, people of
color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities
to apply.

Minimum Qualifications:
Doctorate in linguistics or a closely related field. (Qualified candidates who
will receive their PhD within one year of the September 2023 hiring date will
be considered.)

Successful candidates will have demonstrated a commitment to promoting equity,
diversity and inclusion in an educational environment.

Because we emphasize the integration of faculty research and actual case
experience in the teaching of our courses, candidates should have experience
in several areas of forensic linguistics including, but not limited to: threat
analysis, authorship analysis, interpretation of contracts, comprehensibility
of jury instructions, analysis of voir dire examinations, plagiarism,
linguistic demographic profiling, trademark disputes, authenticity of
confessions, assessing interrogation techniques.

Preferred Qualifications:
Desired qualifications include experience in U.S. civil and criminal case
procedures including, but not limited to:
 - Communicating with lawyers, law enforcement, and other clients
 - Assessing and organizing investigative data
 - Choosing appropriate analytical tools and performing analyses
 - Writing formal reports and other legal documents
 - Preparing for Frye and Daubert challenges
 - Preparing various stages of testimony

Submit applications to the application link below. Include the following:
 - a letter that describes your teaching, research, and forensic linguistic
experiences and interests;
 - curriculum vitae;
 - a copy of your graduate transcripts (official transcripts will be required
prior to hire); and
 - a list of three recommenders with their email contact information.

Application Deadline: 01-Dec-2022

Web Address for Applications: https://hofstra.peopleadmin.com/postings/614
Contact Information
	Linguistics Search Committee