33.3167, Calls: Slavic; Morphology, Phonology, Syntax/Greece

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 19 04:03:56 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3167. Wed Oct 19 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3167, Calls: Slavic; Morphology, Phonology, Syntax/Greece

Moderators:

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 03:58:21
From: Ora Matushansky [ora.matushansky at cnrs.fr]
Subject: Inflection and derivation of the Slavic verb

Full Title: Inflection and derivation of the Slavic verb

Date: 29-Aug-2023 - 01-Sep-2023
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact Person: Ora Matushansky
Meeting Email: ora.matushansky at cnrs.fr

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology; Phonology; Syntax

Language Family(ies): Slavic

Call Deadline: 07-Nov-2022

Meeting Description:

The year 2023 marks the 100th anniversary from the birth of Morris Halle. To
honor his memory and his contribution to Slavic morphophonology we propose a
workshop devoted to the morphosyntax, morphosemantics, and morphophonology of
the Slavic verb, including diachronic aspects and issues of micro-, mezzo-, or
macro-variation. Particular attention will be paid to following topics:

- Verb formation: unification, differentiation and analysis of thematic
suffixes, both individually and as a class; the syntactic position,
interpretability, and interpretation of the suffixes -ow- and -yw- (appearing
as -av-, -yv- and -ov-/-u-) both as verbalizers and as secondary imperfective
markers) and -nu- (semelfactive and mutative)

- Affix pleonasm as a form-meaning mismatch: nature and types (with particular
focus on pleonastic derivational suffixation), loanword suffixes such as -ir-
or -iz-, the potential decomposition of -nu- and -ov-, other stem augments and
their role

- Architecture of Grammar: the hypothesis of acategorial roots, the relevance
of stems, locality issues (including allomorphy, ablaut, and readjustment)

- Segmental and autosegmental phenomena: glides at morpheme junctures, vowel
and consonant deletion, ablaut, stress, and tone

The aim of this workshop is to facilitate and enhance cross-pollination
between studies at different interfaces of morphophonology of the Slavic verb,
so our topics of interest are not limited to the list above.

Call of Papers:

To account for the questions described above and related ones, we invite
contributions dealing with various aspects of the morphology of the Slavic
verb. We favor formal and derivational approaches over functional and
typological ones but may accept the latter as well if they clearly target the
abovementioned questions. To indicate your interest in participation, please
send an abstract of max. 300 words by November 7, 2022, to both of the
following e-mail-addresses:

ora.matushansky at cnrs.fr
m.marelj at uu.nl

This is the first step in the process: the preselection of participants in the
workshop. By November 20, 2022, we will submit the workshop proposal to the
SLE organizing committee. Note that, after the acceptance of the workshop as
such, you will still have to submit your abstract for anonymous review by 15
January 2023, which will be reviewed as usual. Further information will be
provided, when it becomes relevant; additionally, you find further information
at:

https://societaslinguistica.eu/sle2023/second-call-for-papers/.

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org