33.3177, Confs: Applied Linguistics/China

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 19 21:07:19 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3177. Wed Oct 19 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3177, Confs: Applied Linguistics/China

Moderators:

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 21:06:34
From: Yiqiong Zhang [zhangyiqiong at gdufs.edu.cn]
Subject: Symposium on Graphicons and Digital Media

Symposium on Graphicons and Digital Media
Short Title: GDM

Date: 05-Nov-2022 - 05-Nov-2022
Location: Virtual, China
Contact: Yiqiong Zhang
Contact Email: zhangyiqiong at gdufs.edu.cn
Meeting URL: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/symposium-on-graphicons-and-digital-media-tickets-436434014887

We warmly invite you to join our one-day virtual Symposium on Graphicons and
Digital Media hosted by Guangdong University of Foreign Studies (China) on
November 5, 2022 (Beijing time, UTC+8, 8:00 AM-5:30 PM).
Please register for free with the link:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/symposium-on-graphicons-and-digital-media-tickets
-436434014887. Space is limited, and will be granted on a first come first
served basis.
The purpose of the symposium is to bring together scholars across the world
who are working on graphicons (graphical icons such as emojis, stickers, and
GIFs) for cross-disciplinary inspiration in addressing the challenges in
collecting, analyzing and interpreting graphicon usage in various context.

We are honored to have a number of leading and emerging scholars to share
their up-to-date research on graphicons usage in digital media. The keynote
speeches include:
Marcel Danesi (University of Toronto, Canada): Emojis as Episodic Structures
Susan C. Herring (Indiana University Bloomington, United States): Filtered
Digital Self-Representation: Uses and Effects
Michele Zappavigna (University of New South Wales, Australia): Emoji as
Paralanguage: Modelling Emoji-text Relations and Exploring Ambient Affiliation
in Social Media Discourse
Sumin Zhao (University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom): Understanding Platform
and Contextual Variation in Emojis: Towards a Methodology Midground

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org