33.3268, Books: Thinking and Speaking in a Second Language: Wang, Wei

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 26 15:49:07 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3268. Wed Oct 26 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3268, Books: Thinking and Speaking in a Second Language: Wang, Wei

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Maria Lucero Guillen Puon <luceroguillen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 15:48:40
From: Ellena Moriarty [ellena.moriarty at cambridge.org]

Title: Thinking and Speaking in a Second Language
Publication Year: 2022
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://www.cambridge.org/linguistics

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/applied-linguistics-and-second-language-acquisition/thinking-and-speaking-second-language?format=PB

Author: Yi Wang
Author: Li Wei

Paperback: ISBN:  9781009074841 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 20.00
Paperback: ISBN:  9781009074841 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 15.00
Paperback: ISBN:  9781009074841 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 17.51

Abstract:

Does the language we speak affect the way we think? This Element provides a
synthesis of contemporary research on the interplay between language and
cognition in speakers of two or more languages and examines variables deemed
to impact bilingual acquisition and conceptualization of language-specific
thinking patterns during L2 learning. An overview of different yet
interrelated studies is offered across a variety of conceptual domains to
illustrate different approaches and key variables. The comparison of
monolingual and bilingual data demonstrates the highly integrative nature
between L2 learning and the changing of one's entire cognitive outlook in L2
speakers. This Element makes relevant connections between language learning
and bilingual cognition, aiming to shed new light on how learners acquire
conceptual distinctions of the target language(s). It also raises theoretical
and pedagogical issues that encourage teachers to reflect upon how to
incorporate recent advances in language-and-cognition research with aspects of
L2 teaching.

1. What Are the Key Concepts?; 2. What Are the Main Branches of Research?; 3.
What Are the Key Readings?; 4. What Are the Implications for SLA?; 5. What Are
the New Avenues for Research?

                     Language Acquisition

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=163278

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org