33.3299, FYI: Run a Wikipedia assignment in Spring 2023!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 28 01:23:21 UTC 2022

LINGUIST List: Vol-33-3299. Fri Oct 28 2022. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 33.3299, FYI: Run a Wikipedia assignment in Spring 2023!

Moderators:

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 01:23:07
From: Helaine Blumenthal [helaine at wikiedu.org]
Subject: Run a Wikipedia assignment in Spring 2023!

Wiki Education is now accepting courses for the Spring 2023 term! By running a
Wikipedia assignment, you and your students can update critical information
about linguistics on Wikipedia. Our students have improved articles ranging
from endangered languages to linguistic theory to biographies of linguists who
have been left out of the record. You can see all of the linguistics courses
we've worked with here:
https://dashboard.wikiedu.org/campaigns/Linguistic_Society_of_America/overview

The Wikipedia assignment allows you to empower your students, engage in open
pedagogy, and ultimately to change the world! As one student put it,

“After completing the project, I felt proud of myself knowing my work will be
seen by others besides my professor. It is rewarding to know that my
contribution to Wikipedia will benefit others rather than just my grade in the
class. Doing the Wikipedia assignment also is a humbling experience that truly
allowed me to value my education even further. I have honestly taken for
granted the resources that I have had access to as a college student. It was
fulfilling to know that thanks to my work I have allowed others to learn free
of cost from resources that they would not have access to otherwise.” (Student
at Oakland University)

If you'd like to run a Wikipedia assignment, visit https://teach.wikiedu.org
to get started. The deadline to submit your course for the Spring 2023 term is
December 16.

I hope you'll join us in Spring 2023 as we continue our mission to make
Wikipedia a more accessible, equitable, and accurate space.

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org