34.1098, Staff Letter: Matthew

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Apr 2 05:05:02 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-1098. Sun Apr 02 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.1098, Staff Letter: Matthew

Moderator: Malgorzata E. Cavar, Francis Tyers (linguist at linguistlist.org)
Managing Editor: Lauren Perkins
Team: Helen Aristar-Dry, Steven Franks, Everett Green, Joshua Sims, Daniel Swanson, Matthew Fort, Maria Lucero Guillen Puon, Zackary Leech, Lynzie Coburn

Editor for this issue: Matthew Fort <matthew at linguistlist.org>

From: Matthew Fort [matthew at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Matthew

I'm Matthew, and I'm a web developer and partly part-time editor. You
might, on a rare occasion, have seen some calls or conferences
published by me, but I'm now mostly focused on technical support
requests.

For more than a year now, I've been working with the LINGUIST List,
and it’s been an enriching experience to explore the field of
linguistics through our mailing list! Reading our issues has allowed
me to delve into diverse areas of linguistics that linguists across
the world have been pursuing and studying. LL is a precious resource
for linguists globally, and personally, it has helped me understand
the methods of linguistic research and collaboration better.

Currently I study computational linguistics - this is a fascinating
field that blends computer science, linguistics, and cognitive science
(and a lot of other areas which, if delineated, might fill this
letter!) to develop systems and algorithms that work with human
language in all its beautiful varieties. Studying computational
linguistics has been a thrilling experience for me, as it has revealed
the possibilities to help low-resource languages through novel
techniques. Overall, learning about computational linguistics has
broadened my understanding of language and its complexities and has
shown me the potential of technology to transform the way we
communicate.

When I am not engrossed in my studies - which admittedly doesn’t
happen very often these days - I find solace in reading good books.
Lately, I have been exploring the works of Isaac Asimov and indulging
in historical fiction.

Thanks to the LL, I have been able to finance my graduate studies, and
by supporting this valuable resource, you are also backing the
community of graduate students who work here. Although you will come
across some of our research in these staff letters, rest assured that
each staff member here has been exploring multiple areas of research
that cannot be represented within a single letter. We owe our ability
to pursue our varied research interests to your generous support.

Your support for the LL extends far beyond facilitating communication
and collaboration among linguists worldwide and providing access to
valuable resources. It also helps aspiring linguists like me embark on
our academic journeys from our graduate studies and the LL. By
supporting the LL, you are playing a role in fostering the next
generation of linguists and enabling us to make meaningful
contributions to the field.

American Dialect Society/Duke University Press http://dukeupress.edu

Bloomsbury Publishing (formerly The Continuum International Publishing Group) http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/

Brill http://www.brill.com