34.24, FYI: Hiphilangsci Update

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 6 08:05:02 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-24. Fri Jan 06 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.24, FYI: Hiphilangsci Update

Moderator: Malgorzata E. Cavar, Francis Tyers (linguist at linguistlist.org)
Managing Editor: Lauren Perkins
Team: Helen Aristar-Dry, Steven Franks, Everett Green, Sarah Robinson, Joshua Sims, Jeremy Coburn, Daniel Swanson, Matthew Fort, Maria Lucero Guillen Puon, Billy Dickson

From: James McElvenny [james.mcelvenny at mailbox.org]
Subject: Hiphilangsci Update

Dear colleagues,

As the new year begins, let us update you on the latest happenings in
the world of History and Philosophy of the Language Sciences.

In the northern summer, our podcast made a detour into contact
linguistics, where we talked to Felicity Meakins, Philipp Krämer and
Peter Trudgill. As the days have grown shorter and the icicles longer,
we have returned to our regular programming and started to look at
linguistics in twentieth-century America. In addition to our usual
episodes, we have had interviews with such luminaries as Andrew
Garrett, Marcin Kilarski and Noam Chomsky. Check out the podcast at
https://hiphilangsci.net/category/podcast/ or follow us on Apple
Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Spotify.

Our series of video interviews also continues, with new discussions
with Bernard Colombat and Irène Rosier-Catach:
https://hiphilangsci.net/category/interviews/

On Twitter, we've unravelled a few threads on the history of
linguistics: grammaticalisation, panchrony, the Sapir-Whorf
hypothesis, the YIVO Institute, drift, the international language
movement, speculative grammar, the notion of code, Sprachbund, syntax
and meaning – the list goes on.

And of course there have been numerous announcements, reviews and
posts on the main blog: https://hiphilangsci.net/

We like to relay announcements about new works and events in the
history of linguistics, so please don't hesitate to send us news of
any publications or activities you're involved in.

Given the Musky odour that now permeates Twitter, we've decided to
supplement our avian tweets with proboscidean toots. That's to say,
you can now find us both under @hiphilangsci on Twitter and
@hiphilangsci at fedihum.org on Mastodon.

Join us across these platforms! More to come this year…

Best regards,
James McElvenny
Chloé Laplantine
Martin Konvička

Linguistic Field(s): History of Linguistics

 The 2022 Fund Drive is under way! Please visit https://funddrive.linguistlist.org