34.328, Summer Schools: Language and Linguistic Prejudice Related to Race, Ethnicity, Gender, and Identity / USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 27 22:25:03 UTC 2023

LINGUIST List: Vol-34-328. Fri Jan 27 2023. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 34.328, Summer Schools:  Language and Linguistic Prejudice Related to Race, Ethnicity, Gender, and Identity / USA

Moderators:

Editor for this issue: Sarah Goldfinch <sgoldfinch at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 22:24:09
From: Natalia Knoblock [nlknoblo at svsu.edu]

 Language and Linguistic Prejudice Related to Race, Ethnicity, Gender, and Identity

Host Institution: Saginaw Valley State University

Dates: 17-Jul-2023 - 28-Jul-2023
Location: University Center, Michigan, USA

Focus: Language bias and discrimination
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum

This is a professional development opportunity for US K-12 teachers. Saginaw Valley State University (https://www.svsu.edu/) is going to host a National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute, "Language and Linguistic Prejudice Related to Race, Ethnicity, Gender, and Identity" (https://www.svsu.edu/summerinstitute/), in July 2023. Attendees of the course will delve into the fascinating features of human language, learn about the connection between language and society, and gain awareness about linguistic bias and linguistic discrimination. The Institute will address the contradiction between the fact that most people renounce discrimination related to race, ethnicity, gender, and identity, but the same people continue holding discriminatory beliefs about language. The problem is that identity and language are inherently related, and much of the linguistic prejudice is a reflection of the prejudice toward social groups. Participants will discuss multiple manifestations of
discriminatory language and will analyze how our attitudes toward language affect not just our everyday lives, but also – and especially – K-12 classrooms, our teaching, and our students' learning.

The Institute is scheduled for Sunday, July 16, 2023, through Friday, July 28, 2023, and it will be run by SVSU faculty and invited scholars who are leaders in the field (https://www.svsu.edu/summerinstitute/theteam/). Each participant will receive a $2,200 stipend intended to help cover travel, housing, meals, and basic academic expenses (participants must attend all the Institute sessions in order to qualify for the full stipend).

Please check out more detailed information for participants (https://www.svsu.edu/summerinstitute/forparticipants/) and apply (https://svsu.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1888556) for this exciting opportunity by March 3rd, 2023.

Registration: 01-Dec-2022 to 03-Mar-2023

Contact Person: Natalia Knoblock
                Phone: 9893151244
                Email: nlknoblo at svsu.edu

Registration Instructions: